Jeeze I'm confused about a 4WD

Page 1 / 3
ambo11, Jan 8, 7:31pm
In the next month I'll be selling the 4WD Vanette and looking for a diesel 4wd. However reading online it seems every one of them has expensive problems waiting to happen! I like the Mitsi Challenger the most, but have heard the head "WILL" crack (likewise with the Surf), the Isuzu 3 litre diesel is something to run away from really fast, and the Terranos/Mistrals have paper autos for towing (which I want it for occasionally). So what about Prados? Only want to spend about 8K, can get Prados down here in car yards for that, but have done 300,000 plus kms (but look immaculate). So my question is, do these big 4wds like Prado do these kms okay, or do they wear out as fast as a car? I know service history is important, these Prados look immaculate on the outside, leading me to think they have spent most of their life as Queen St tractors. hopefully. Thoughts anyone? To be honest I was set on a Mistral as low km ones are cheapish and they are taller than Terranos, which I like. I dunno. think I've done too much reading and got confused! Is a Terrano with the 2.7 and auto really that weak for towing occasionally? By towing I mean 3 cube of wet rings maybe half a dozen times a year? Who wants to confuse me more? Also the Ssanyong 4wds. thoughts on reliability?

golfdiver, Jan 8, 7:37pm
What's wrong with the 3.0 Isuzu diesel? That's the same engine used so successfully by Holden in their Colorado and late Rodeo Utes isn't it? Very reliable.

2sheddies, Jan 8, 7:38pm
Know someone with a Mistral and he tows with it regularly, both a largish domestic trailer and a 15ft caravan. Went all round the S.I with the van on the back, no problems. The TD27 is bulletproof. Good wagons for little money in my opinion, if you want/need a 4wd. I think one of the best insurances you can have for towing with any auto vehicle is to fit a good transmission cooler.

2sheddies, Jan 8, 7:39pm
It's a hand grenade so everyone says. If going down the Isuzu route, best to get the earlier 3.1.

golfdiver, Jan 8, 7:41pm
I've done 250k in my 2008 Rodeo, my mechanic has 3 Utes all with that engine as well. Bulletproof.

2sheddies, Jan 8, 7:45pm
I have only had experience with the 3.1 in a MU which was an awesome unit, and after driving a 2.4 Surf and 2.5 Pajero it fully convinced me that diesels aren't all slugs! I've never driven a diesel with so much grunt! But so many in the know insist you should keep away from that later 3.0 for whatever reasons.

ambo11, Jan 8, 7:46pm
Maybe the Rodeo has a different engine? I think its the 4jx1 (or something) that seems to be a hand grenade.
Cheers 2 sheddies, yep whatever I buy will be getting both a trans cooler and a cooling system/radiator replacement or rodding out if can be done.
Mistrals seem to be cheaper, they can have electrical problems but rather than than a $3000 head job. lol

mals69, Jan 8, 7:55pm
+1

Value for money - terrano all the way !

Yep definitely cooler added for towing, trick with terrano is drive the
auto in hold mode for normal driving so the auto is not hunting up and down the box all the time - had great run out of my 92 auto - auto never been touched.
What you read is probably guys who overloaded terrano's,
pulled up hills without a cooler

Mistral bit of a chicks 4wd is it not ? (looks like one) - light crap things made in spain (somewhere of rep of poor build quality) - not in same ball park as a Terrano

2sheddies, Jan 8, 7:56pm
Could be right about the different engine there ambo. Someone who knows will confirm. Also, I'm not 100% certain on this, but I seem to recall that diesel Prados also tend to suffer head problems?

monaro17, Jan 8, 7:59pm
I'm sorry I don't really don't get this weak terrano transmission talk. I had three and towed decently heavy loads often with all of them. Never ever had an issue. Two out of those three still tow and neither has has any issues yet. One tows a stock car and trailer everywhere.

I had the autos services and flushed and had external cooler fitted to one of them.

2sheddies, Jan 8, 8:02pm
Personally I've always preferred the shape of the Terrano, because like the Surf we had, they're a bit more low slung and station wagon like, instead of the big boxy cake tin type thing, but the Mistral being taller might suit some folk better. prolly a bit easier to get in and out of for some too.

ambo11, Jan 8, 8:06pm
Good to hear, I'd be maintaining it well. as for Mistrals, I prefer the taller look (the Terranos don't seem any higher than our Odyssey TBH when parked beside one, and I'm someone who likes an easy access vehicle lol. I'm old now). Maaybe i'll try for a Mistral and change spelling of my name from Mal to Mel. lol

a.woodrow, Jan 8, 8:08pm
It's not the same engine, but yes the one fiited to rodeo/colorado is very reliable

mals69, Jan 8, 8:11pm
Or take up hairdressing

mals69, Jan 8, 8:15pm
Yeah same thoughts - do a trip to the coast and you right up the
ass of cars not miles back like other 4wd's with a high center of gravity.

Not really sure what OP on about unless he is 6 ft 8 - still have to
slide on up getting into mine (6ft) - and way more ground clearance than
a odyssey

ambo11, Jan 8, 8:15pm
Jeeze, I'm not buying an MX5. lol

mals69, Jan 8, 8:22pm
Mainly woman and old men drive mistrals in canterbury.

Would not think mistral last long towing resonable loads all
the time ?

golfdiver, Jan 8, 8:23pm
Phew

golfdiver, Jan 8, 8:24pm
Very popular with the local Indian families

mals69, Jan 8, 8:32pm
Step up from an elephant

ambo11, Jan 8, 8:32pm
Mistrals have the same running gear as Terranos I think. Slightly different chassis etc though, have been told they are nicer on road, but not as good at 4wding as a Terrano.

mals69, Jan 8, 8:46pm
Yeah more car like - yeah just looked up to see if had full
ladder chassis and appears to.My Terrano has sport and touring
suspension- good set of tyres like bridgestone and beaut ride.

Prob best just to drive both - do the uncle google thing bit more of
terrano problems - mistral problems and go from there

msigg, Jan 8, 8:55pm
Prado all the way much better riding than the others. Take 1 for a test drive. Like everything it.s all about maintenance, do that well and a prado will easy do 4-500k. They hold there price a bit more than the others, there is a reason for that, when sold from new the manufacture could not keep up with demand. The toyota gearbox is one of the best around. if buying cheaper then look for a good nissan, getting harder to find as they are all getting that much older and many km on the clock. Good luck.

intrade, Jan 8, 9:01pm
number 1 issue is old age and no service
number 2 is morons who take 4wd on the beach.
number 3 is the newer it is the more crap with 1 exemption
these are the main problems of most 4wd there is a exemption bur rules above still apply 1 and 2.

monaro17, Jan 8, 9:08pm
Yes Terrano is the best riding and handling jap 4x4 of that era. Always been well known for car like ride and handling. Prado feels too tall or something it does pitch and roll more. Hilux surf has appalling ride