Hilux 2.4d

rctr, Mar 7, 7:54am
Evening chaps quick question what engine is in this doesn't appear to be a 2l. 854601800

snoopy221, Mar 7, 8:09am
um why doesn't it?
because it ain't gotzz a blowie attached making it a 2L-T(turbo)
All Lseries engines L 2.2 2L 2.4 and 2L-T 2.4 turbo (blowie) are the same block

carjam. http://www.carjam.co-
.nz/car/?plate=RJ2873+

and the motorweb (which is on the actual auction)
http://www.motorweb.co.nz/pub/vehicle/768158252/partial-report

harrym7, Mar 7, 8:26am
Yes that is a 2L 2.4L motor, last forever which is good cos they take forever to get anywhere!

frank1, Mar 7, 8:49am
Yep,last forever,provided u replace cracked cyl head,radiator,and overhaul injection pump.(Based on my time as an engine reconditioner)

skin1235, Mar 7, 8:52am
don't forget oil pump drive when changing cam belt frank, more of the 2,4's have died from lack of oil than the other causes

snoopy221, Mar 7, 9:02am
Sheesh i'd hate ta hear ya comments on da Tin tops . lol

ml6989, Mar 7, 9:26am
It looks like the Mk 1 2L with the roller rockers and screw adjustable tappets. The later 2L's had shim bucket tappets. I also seem to remember that the 2L-T had a different a crankshaft, supposedly stronger.

tintop, Mar 7, 9:28am
Tintops ? Where! Where?

Oh - have a Hilux 2.4D as well - 300,000 k at the moment, About half way through its life I reckon.

mrfxit, Mar 7, 9:47am
Yep 2L = 2400cc non turbo roller rocker head

Should run ok in that ute body but don't expect anything flash in the way of performance.
IF the cooling system has been kept clean including the inside of the radiator, then it's a dang good reliable engine.
I used to get around 9.5L/100kms average out of my 2L=T Surf but thats a far heavier body then that ute.
Typical old diesel where they go about as well empty as they do fully laden.
Not fast but when you understand where the most torque is & which gear to use, then they are happy keeping up with the general traffic & ok on hills.

It was the later model "Tin top" shim tappet head engines that had the most problems with cracking heads.

intrade, Mar 7, 11:31am
This is the engine top gear had a go at destroying I doubt any of these heads cracked on non turbos I fitted. The 2,2 in my 90 ln130

mugenb20b, Mar 7, 6:37pm
I recently sold my Hilux with a 2L motor, had 350k on the clock, didn't drip, drink or smoke, spent most of its life getting abused on the farm. And as for "lack of power", I didn't really expect any from a big, heavy non turbo cast iron lump. In fact, I was quite happy with it.

rctr, Mar 7, 6:39pm
Being an old auto performance is least of my worries it's for my auntie to move stuff for her new house.

intrade, Mar 7, 6:55pm
best thing she could own it will outlast her if the chassy is not rotted .
my engine came from a ute on a dargaville kumara farm the ute had snaped in half and the water they filled in to the engine had rotted a 2 finger big hole in to the aluminium front housing. got that welded up and a new pipe attached to it and its going ever since. Only thing they can do is eat glowplugs if the injectors are worn and thermal shock the glowers when they spray on to them glowplugs instead of past the plugs.

mrfxit, Mar 7, 7:40pm
Yep thats great.
The only real thing to remember about driving an older non turbo diesel is they have NO power unless you keep the revs around 2000rpm to 4000rpm
Anything under or over those rev limits & theres pretty much nothing worth having.
Ie: gutless under 2k / simply wasting rev's over 4k, particularly when hauling a load & climbing hills.

Turbo models have their best power between 2k & 3k & well worth it

tintop, Mar 7, 8:19pm
:) My dog has 'owned' ours ever since he was a pup.

I am not allowed to go anywhere without him on the back - although he prefers to be in the cab when it is raining. ( saves him stinking out the house when we get home too) :) So guess I am stuck with it for the next couple of hundred thousand k's

ozz1, Mar 7, 11:59pm
I hear you. a man and his dog. ya gotta love what they take over.
cheers. :)

snoopy221, May 11, 2:05pm
Never ever seen or heard of a non turb(non tin top) cracking a head.
Most of the **head crakas** were imports with too small an exhaust bore dia and too high a thermostat temp.
[Let alone as always ota used the same head turb and non turb and extra load and age and mileage can and does show that in time. ]