Spark plug mix ?

comadi, Jul 28, 8:21am
The Haynes manual for my 2004 Ford Escape has 2 plugs listed ---
Cylinders 1 & 3 = Motorcraft AZFS-32 or equivalent .
Cylinders 2 & 4 = Motorcraft AZFS-32FE or equivalent.

I found this on an American website ---

Ford does this to help the motor run better when it goes into limp mod. It will not affect the way your car will run if you put in the set of four azfs.I pulled my stock plugs awhile back and noticed the same thing.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but then it doesn't have to :-D
Anyone familiar with this ?

Super cheaps equivalent is an NGK ITR5H13 for $45 each.
Does anyone know of a cheaper copper equivalent ?
I have read differing reports that Platinum plugs only give you extra mileage not performance.

sw20, Jul 28, 8:34am
Very correct. They are usually good for 100,000km. You don't chase performance with spark plugs. They are there to provide reliable spark. Nothing wrong with copper plugs if they are fitted to an engine in which you can change them easily.

_peas, Jul 28, 8:38am
Knowing a few people that have owned Ford Escapes I would say you would want it to work pretty well in limp mode, its probably not far off going into it. What might be more helpful is the part number dismantling chart that is in the front of the NGK catalogue. All the letters and numbers have reference to thread, reach, hex size, heat, electrode etc. Just ask to have a look at Repco or Supercheap or your local mechanic. Take your ITR5H13 and figure out what this actually is and if you can convert it to a standard plug using the codes. Whether doing this is the best for your car is debatable and I'm sure there are for and against on here.

franc123, Jul 28, 8:42am
Up to you to decide as to whether you want to be pulling the intake plenum up to change them every 40k for coppers, or fit iridiums and maybe not have to bother with them again in the time you own it. Rule #1 is you don't buy high spec plugs from local outlets, either of those Motorcraft or NGK plugs can be sourced for US$10ea+courier if you know where to look.

comadi, Jul 28, 8:49am
What is limp mode ?
Sounds painful :-D

And yeah I think I know where to get the US$10 plugs from ;-)

ladatrouble, Jul 28, 8:50am
Waste spark system? One will probably have a plat centre electrode, the other a plat earth. Replace them with double plats or iridium and you won't have to get confused anymore.

jason_247, Jul 28, 11:03am
The PTR5a-13 is a platinum equiv of that iridium number

should be about $16 at supercheap.

Coppers would be fine but ford made those plugs with a longer thread at the same time they went to platinum or iridium from factory so noone makes a copper plug in the right dimensions.

comadi, Jul 29, 7:57am
There not listed on super cheaps website, but they are on T.M for $35 !

tamarillo, Dec 12, 2:00am
If they are 35 here, and you can get much less overseas, I guess around 10 tops, import a few sets and sell spares for 20 here to cover postage costs.