VY Holden SRS Airbag fault since I took seats out

soproud2bekiwi, Aug 9, 5:37am
So I took the seats out of my 2003 VY Holden Ute to get the carpets properly cleaned. unclipped the couple of wires that were attached to each seat (wondered what the wiring was for at the time). Got the carpets cleaned and dried and re-fitted the seats, re-clipped the wiring loom clips back together.

Now, ever since then, every time I start the engine it runs through its normal checks then screech screech screech, and SRS Airbag Fault flashes on the dash display.

A friend said I should have disconnected the battery before I started - who knew? Last I knew I was driving a Ford Anglia, lol - so I tried disconnecting battery, left it for several hours hoping it would reset. Reconnected. same problem. Apart from paying a garage $80 for two minutes with their fancy super duper diagnostic tool to re-set the computer, does anyone have any good ideas please?

franc123, Aug 9, 5:50am
You have to get the codes deleted, SRS codes in those won't erase themselves unless its done with the tool, whether its GM Tech2 or an aftermarket one that's capable. Always be weary of unplugging yellow connectors under your seats, dash, centre console or steering column.

tamarillo, Aug 9, 5:52am
x1
Yep, did same thing in a BMW. Easy for workshop to quickly delete the warning code though.
And yes, I was told always disconnect battery first. Damn magic!

repobox, Aug 12, 2:02am
go to manukau service centre on hobile ave. costs around $100 to reset

mopsy3, Aug 12, 2:53am
x1
$100 to erase a fault code? I wouldn't be recommending them!

kazbanz, Aug 12, 3:39am
NORMALLY the only way that will happen is if you have started the car with the seats out.--or at least turned the ignition on.
NOTHING other than a Holden reset will remove that SRS warning now.
By "holden" I mean a sparky with a machine that talks to Holdens.
cost me $50 for the exact same fault code clear at Autolab on Lincoln Road Henderson.-Mine was a VZ.

lusty9, Aug 12, 11:47am
if u turn ignition on and unclip the connectors then start the car and idle then turn off take key out and connect the connectors and turn the key on and start it should reset itself.

mrfxit, Aug 13, 8:50pm
Mmmm interesting thought.
Anyone game enough to try it?

kazbanz, Aug 13, 8:55pm
Nahh-er ok sorry Ill try again.
In my VZ SV6 I tried that trick -AFTER some clown decided to move the car 1.0m forwards by starting it up. It had to go to a local holden service agent for a code clear.

lusty9, Aug 14, 12:11pm
hahaha ohwel if it doesn't work it was worth a try and if it does yay.

soproud2bekiwi, Aug 21, 2:15pm
Thanks everyone for all your replies. I tried the battery disconnect Lusty, hoping for a reset but it didn't work unfortunately. Looks like its off to the Holden agent. They must love home handyman idiots like myself, lol :O) Thanks again everyone, you're a loverly lot in this room. trots off to see if they're as nice in the real estate department. last time it was a mixed bag of lovelies, and not-so-lovelies, ha ha ha ha ha.

lusty9, Aug 22, 3:10am
don't call yourself an idiot, you weren't to know and sometimes car makers put these trip wires in so you have to go back to them hence $$$ so they're idiots more like it.

kazbanz, Aug 22, 3:11am
soproud--I do this stuff for a living and still one of my staff moved mine.

cammey, Aug 22, 3:16am
Ford have a nice idea in the BT50/Ranger. They have a variable speed oil pump that can't self prime.

Change the oil without knowing what you are doing, and it may cost you a new motor.

Cammeys old trick of letting the oil drain while having a cuppa would be a disaster.

soproud2bekiwi, Sep 23, 7:17am
Thanks again Kazbanz and Lusty, you're too kind :O) Hey Lusty, we need to get another feedback onto your username, the current number is looking a bit spooky eh, lol

carclan, Sep 23, 7:22am
I took both seats out of my VE to test the SRS system and the waring light activated, refitted and they went out.

treachug, Sep 23, 8:14am
Being safety it will still have logged a fault code & will be back.
Will need to be cleared with correct tool.

carclan, Sep 23, 8:31am
I have a code reader and reset the fault code, the point is the fault light did not stay on once they were reconnected.

franc123, May 18, 2:30am
Its actually done to try and prevent amateur meddling with what is after all a pretty important safety system in a car, take the hint. I'm not sure why you posted what you did actually when the correct and only procedure that works was already stated at post #2. We know who the idiot is and its not the OP and its not the manufacturers either.