How to wire up led lights?

dirtydog124, Sep 11, 8:54pm
I have just bought a pair of led lights to use in the day time(daytime running lights)i will be mounting them on each side of the number plate.How do i wire them up,do i wire them into the park light circuit so when you turn on the park lights they will light up?,also are they allowed to be on at night time with your headlights,cheers for any info.

kazbanz, Sep 11, 9:49pm
dirtydog. To be sure there is NO chance of a WOF fail I'd suggest you need to wire them in the same way you would spotlights.
That means they need to be wired so they have two "off" switches.
First they must turn off when the lights are turned off then they must have a second on/off switch. So to turn them on you have to put lights on to at least park then also turn them on with an on/of switch

m16d, Sep 11, 9:59pm
Daytime running lights need to come on with the ignition switch,and be wired through a relay [or back through the park light positive wire] to go off when the parkers or headlights are on.
They'll need to do that to pass a wof.
You don't need any switches.

stuartb2, Sep 11, 10:08pm
Also to pass a WOF they are not allowed to be more than 600mm from the outside edge of the vehicle. I dont how a lot of trucks get a COF when they are either side of the number plate.

lookoutas, Sep 12, 5:41am
This - but just a question.
Are they not allowed to go with the park lights, but earth them out through the main lights?

m16d, Sep 12, 6:02am
Yer. I don't know what the rules are. I just wire them back through the parkers and the VTNZ man is happy.

kazbanz, Sep 12, 6:06am
Thar you go--I thought those LED "running lights " were covered under the same legal requirements as spotlights or foglights.

stevo2, Sep 12, 7:13am
DRL's must go out when the headlights go on. Mine have a relay to do that thats hooked up to the park lights.

thewomble1, Sep 12, 7:15am
Must turn off when headlights are on.

lookoutas, Sep 12, 8:32am
That means they should get their power from a live wire with the ignition on - and be earthed to the main feed of the headlights. Which means they will come on with the ignition, stay on with the parklights, but go off when the headlights are switched on.

msigg, Sep 12, 8:40am
Yes good idea m16d has it, use a change over relay, easy.

xs1100, Sep 12, 8:56am
what type of vechile are they on also,would advise to be very careful around rangers

stevo2, Sep 12, 9:35am
Actually, they come on with the ignition, go off with the park lights and stay off with the head lights. But if the lights are all turned off and the DRL's are on, they will stay on if you pull the light stalk to flash the headlights.

brokebloke1, Sep 15, 7:50am
YES! ive seen a few rangers around that have DRLs and their lights don't go off when headlights are on , and these are factory fitted DRLs not aftermarkert.
Months ago I did ask a w.o.f place about them and he said " cant see way they should turn off as they give oncoming cars at night a better view of you"

xs1100, Sep 15, 9:33am
hahaha I meant more the fact that they don't seem to like LED (rangers)

gazzat22, Sep 23, 3:43am
Probably a bit late but according to local Testing Station you are legally only allowed to have 2 parking lights so correct way is to come on with ignition and go off when parking lights and or headlights come on but most local garages and even the testing stations dont seem to know.I was quoted the law as it is writ. M16D is correct!

poppajn, May 18, 7:26pm
Simple answer is when DRL are on, no other light can be