Check oil level on my 2015 holden colorado

justwotever, Nov 24, 10:41pm
only done10000 kms nothing on dip stick bloody pissed off

bjmh, Nov 24, 10:53pm
so its due for an oil change ? some oils seem to burn as they get due for a change . I know they have probably told you 15000 km but sometimes its better too change it earlier.

desmodave, Nov 24, 10:55pm
How many kms since you last checked it ? . If you waited until a light on the dash illuminated alerting you to a low oil pressure , it may be to late .

A quick Google came up with this.
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/117873/Colorado_owners_check_your_oil.aspx

justwotever, Nov 24, 11:14pm
had the frist dealers service done at 3000kms i do tow a 6.2 meter boat

mm12345, Nov 24, 11:19pm
There are plenty of threads on forums about this. There's no consensus, but seems that advice is that they use very thin oil (5W30) and the oil use may decline to more normal levels by the time they get 30,000km on the clock or so.
The dealers say it's normal. They might be correct, but I think I'd be putting something formal to them, in terms of a letter noting the high oil use, noting that you checked and topped it up regularly. I wouldn't tell them that it had got to below low level on the dipstick. It would be a very nasty situation to be in to later have a warranty claim refused if there was damage to rings/bearings etc, the dealer blamed the customer for not checking/topping up oil at intervals which are probably specified in the handbook, and probably specified at very close intervals (1,000km or so) to cover the dealer's backside.

franc123, Nov 24, 11:58pm
No point showing up here with a red face, go see your service agent and they will advise you what has to happen from here, the issue is known. Underbonnet fluid levels should be checked weekly, it is operators responsibility to do this. Brand new vehicles need checking as often as anything else.

intrade, Nov 25, 12:17am
be glad it even has a dipstick lol the cdi 203 merc has no dipstick and it told client to add oil at random times. Done oil change to specs he drives home it tells add oil ! i said think about it you dont add a other liter oil after 50km thats simply not logical
the problem was the crank vent breather since i replaced that it dont tells him to add oil when ever it feels like .

bjmh, Nov 25, 12:18am
oil warning lights used to be called "idiot lights " don't know if that applies is the pc age ?

justwotever, Nov 25, 1:43am
x1
talk to the dealer they know about the problem he said just keep an eye on it

bwg11, Nov 25, 2:21am
x1
I can understand your displeasure at a new vehicle using that much oil. I have a new Suzuki and Toyota. Both barely move on the dipstick between annual services (between 10 and 15k). Both handbooks say up to 1 litre/1000km is acceptable, so the manuafcturers obviously cover their backsides as mm12345 suggests.

Making assumptions, I presume your truck had a first service at around 3000 kms and it is "off the stick" by 10k, it must be using a significant amount of oil. Say it holds 6 litres, and 2 remain when it is "off the stick" that is still 4 litres in 7000 kms, which I would not be happy with.

The other concern to me would be be if the oil is not being leaked, it is being burnt and the ash of that burn is somewhere and could easily cause problems once the vehicle is out of warranty.

mals69, Nov 25, 2:40am
Any damage you will be covered by warranty ?

mals69, Nov 25, 2:56am
Wonder if you would be covered by the consumer act - its not fit for service.

monaro17, Nov 25, 3:04am
That's just the thing.- if they say the oil consumption is within the manufacturer's acceptable levels then there is technically nothing with it.

Isn't it funny- years ago we all accepted oil consumption (you just bought the car with the least amount of oil under it)- yet into the 90s and early 2000s cars generally just never used any oil, and its going full circle today to where many cars are 'allowed' to use certain amounts of oil. One of our cars is allowed to (but thankfully does not) use 1qt every 2500kms

sr2, Nov 25, 3:30am
1 litre/1,000km sounds ridiculously high, are you sure it wasn't 1 litre/10,000km?

justwotever, Nov 25, 3:46am
just the first check up was done no oil change looked at oil level 5000kms ago and it was fine

lunar2, Nov 25, 3:48am
One of my employees had a brand new mitsi van run out of oil within 3000km from new.
Turns out it was never filled up correctly when delivered. Needed a new motor, Mitsi paid for repairs and loan vehicle

bwg11, Nov 25, 4:09am
You made me doubt my memory and go and check my facts, because it does sound very high. Both handbooks state less than 1 litre per 1000 km is acceptable oil consumption. Toyota FJ and Swift Sport.

mm12345, Nov 25, 4:24am
Google tells me that there are class-action lawsuits going on in the US about high oil consumption on several Audi, BMW, and Subaru models.

Comments are made about low viscosity oils, low friction ring/bore design and materials, both to increase fuel economy, but also high crankcase pressures, probably partly to do with blowby from very high compression and/or forced induction engines, and it probably gets worse the harder the vehicle is driven (in OP's example, regular towing?).
But the thing that seems to stand out is how variable it is, some people with the same model claiming negligible oil consumption, others using heaps. The way it's driven has an impact, but my guess probably any differences in engine tolerances are exacerbated by the low viscosity oils used. I'd rather have the car of the type that uses less oil than more - within spec - especially when they're using that kind of amount of oil (litre every thousand or two km). What are the ones with slacker tolerance and higher oil consumption going to be like when they've got 100,000km on the clock?

Another factor is that with stratified injection, when running on that injection setting, there's no - or very little - fuel wetting the surface of the bore, so they probably design the oil seal ring to leave a trace more than they used to do, to make sure there's enough lubrication.

mals69, Nov 25, 4:29am
True !

He done 7000km and now no oil on the dipstick ? The manufacturers
can try and cover their hides but would it work with a switched on judge, surely their must be a point where its just ridiculous in the eyes of a court of law ? This case is ridiculous - I'd be pis.sed off !

They do not make them like the old HG 186 :)

Outlaw bought last of the previous hilux TRD - he has not lifted the bonnet each week, never out of the thing, been ch-ch nelson etc.
He prob does not even know where the bonnet release is.
IMHO most modern holden models are a piece of shite ! To put your lion
badge on a daewoo cruise ooops meant holden cruise says it all !
Pistiva junk too.

Dunnydores ok.

Trade it in on a Navara or Hilux

2get1, Nov 25, 5:04am
my 06 D4D hilux with near 200,000km on the clock, slightly modded for better power and economy.cat gutted, stand alone black box that increased power and torque by a respectable amount, K&N air filter. driven hard, used tow over 3500kg sometimes near 4000kg. Never used a drop of oil between oil changes. Used to use a fully synthetic oil and do oil and filter every 10,000km. Used to check it every now and then but it never used a drop.

mram, Nov 25, 5:49am
This seems to be a widespread problem. I have noted significant use in mine about 3-3.5 litres per 15k. Was given an oil report to do then was told later at the next service that it didn't stand for the owner to do it and have to start again with the dealer checking it every 5000k. I know of one other that actually ran out of oil completely before the 15k interval was up. Not happy with how they seem to be fobbing it off until its out of warranty. As Bwg11 says the ash burn is going somewhere. Probably going to cause catastrophic issues in the future, Blocking oil pickups,gallerys,etc. Its a shame because I like the ute and how it drives. Sort your S**T out holden

mm12345, Sep 12, 11:20am
The "burn" is probably prematurely clogging up the EGR system, then what doesn't clog the crap out of that, gets sucked through and gradually but prematurely killing the cat(s), O2/NOx sensors, DPF (in the case of diesels) or spewing out dangerous nano-particulates in the case of petrol engines. Ticking time-bomb IMO if the vehicle is using such large amounts of oil. It's not like the old days, where excess oil use might mean a $1-2K engine rebuild. Serious $$$ involved just keeping all the emissions cr@p in order - which is legislated/mandatory.