Cars on Trademe odometer wound back

thrifty-sella, Mar 3, 3:16am
Looking at car, check car on car jam and according to records the odometer has been wound back. Found this with three cars I have been interested in so far. That is just today.

munchnz, Mar 3, 3:20am
I wouldn't trust car-jam 100% I had a car years ago that went into storage for a while when I was traveling, on return got a WOF for it no worries but the next place did it off line, following was online . went to sell the car some years later and car jam said speedo was wrong. Looking into it I found the offline wof wasn't recorded

sw20, Mar 3, 3:24am
Double check that info. Every now and again there might be a typo when issuing a WOF. Maybe an extra 0 got added on once. If the mileage went from say, 50,000 one WOF to 520,000 the next WOF, then the next WOF was 60,000, there hasn't been any winding back at all, just a typo when entering the details.

franc123, Mar 3, 3:37am
You need to be reading the overall odo growth pattern on the graph and not look at the actual readings, a rogue entry becomes obvious.

tamarillo, Mar 3, 3:41am
Posts all relevant, and sometimes they clearly appear wound down don't they? I asked a seller about it as they said they had pile of old wof papers. When I asked about particular date when it lost miles for ever, they clammed up.
Other issue is knowing what car had on it when it started it's kiwi life if it's import s/h. Condition means more than milage on older cars I feel.

rotormotor7, Mar 3, 7:21am
http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=wq2198

My old 7 had apparently travelled mega K's all whilst off the road stuck in the garage with no diff 416K a day. be couple tanks of gas that daily

tgray, Mar 3, 7:46am
Have a good look at the report.
The ones to watch are the ones that go up and then drop dramatically and start going up again from the lower figure.
In most cases, they are simple imputing errors rather than genuine wind backs.

kazbanz, Mar 3, 9:19am
look carefully at the report. Have a look at the milage CURVE. If one reading is a spike up or down then you know its usually an error--if it goes down and starts again at the lower level--yep dodgy
Mind you if its a Diesel from NZ then always take the miles with a BIG grain of salt.

thrifty-sella, Mar 3, 7:18pm
Why is that, all have been diesel. One in particular, dropped 11,000 kms. The others between 4000 and 6000 km. Still a lot of kms to drop.

thunderbolt, Mar 3, 7:39pm
I think you can assume they are errors, if you were winding back a speedo for financial gain, you would take much more off than that.

kazbanz, Mar 3, 7:41pm
In Japan or NZ theres not a lot of reason to wind the clock back or stop the clock (Clock/odometer) in a petrol vehicle. If anything theres every reason not to wind the clock. Records show the tampering.
With a diesel in New Zealand you pay road user charges for every mile you clock up. This encourages people to tamper with the odometer.
read back through threads on here and everybody knows a mate or a courier etc who does it.
so theres every reason to tamper with the odometer.
Incidently -its still entirely possibly an error so again you need to check the curve . if the odo reading spikes up or down then back onto to the average use for that vehicle its likely a clerical error.
Equally possible is that the owner has been regularly winding the clock back in their diesel and over did it in the case where they got caught.
Seeing service records for the vehicle might help clear matters up.
Comparing the service km's to carjam might out a cheat or confirm the error.
Equally the fact the diesel seemed to be serviced every 2000km would ring really loud alarm bells.

brapbrap8, May 18, 11:57pm
In import performance cars like skylines and things it is common for boy racers to swap the JDM gauges with the 180km speedo out for non JDM spec gauges that have a 260 or 320km speedo that of course comes with a completely different odometer reading.
Usually it is mentioned on the listings what the actual and indicated mileage is (if you choose to believe what they claim the actual mileage is!)

I haven't seen people doing this to diesels though, so probably a typing error with the fairly small disrepancies you are seing.