Led daytime running lights

Page 1 / 2
ianalice1, Mar 18, 11:45pm
Hey guys.
Just wanting to get a wof type ruling on these lights.
I think they are a great idea, but I'm confused about the wiring.
I understood they were to turn on, when main key is on and turn off when park or headlights are turned on.
Seems most for sale, on here are just 2 wire and I thought would need 3 wires or some sort of relay setup.
So can you wof guys enlighten me?
Thanks,
Ian.

frytime, Mar 18, 11:49pm
Correct. I've powered mine off low beam earth wire (earth switched lights). Works for me

clark20, Mar 18, 11:50pm
Here's a site with all the info
http://www.safetydaylights.com/

And you are correct, typically a changeover relay to turn them off when the headlamps are on

ianalice1, Mar 18, 11:52pm
So that being the case, why are they to sell them, as would be illegal?

ianalice1, Mar 18, 11:54pm
It says this, They automatically switch ON when the ignition is switched ON and will automatically switch OFF when the headlamps or park lights are turned on.
I thought I was right, for a change that is.

wind.turbine, Mar 18, 11:59pm
Note that if you follow the rule book by the letter it means that they can stay going when position lights are an but must turn off when (main) headlights are turned on

clark20, Mar 19, 12:00am
Some come with a relay and some do it internally (3 wires). There is a new automatic relay

http://www.safetydaylights.com/product-range/the-complete-range/safety-daylights-smart-controller.html

ianalice1, Mar 19, 12:02am
Just found these ones and they almost $100, plus fitting. HELLA LED Safety DayLights

richardmayes, Mar 19, 12:42am
I just use the old-fashioned headlights. Supplied free with every car.

inkapuka, Mar 19, 12:44am
My old car had some i purchased on here and when lights go on they just dimmed all legal

ianalice1, Mar 19, 4:50am
There is so many on here, I guess it's a matter of getting the correct ones.
But I don't know which one?

clark20, Mar 19, 4:56am
First make sure they are compliant (ADR or ECE)
Then get high efficacy (2-3 watts each)
Then make sure you get a 5 year warranty

clark20, Mar 19, 5:05am
Yep, and bulbs then wear out quicker, and you need 0.1-0.2L every 100km to power 110W

gsimpson, Mar 19, 6:09am
Doesn't make much diiference as one should not be driving on park lights only anyway.

o0_hamburger_0o, Mar 20, 12:32pm
see too many of those around even at 9pm on way home from work

o0_hamburger_0o, Mar 20, 12:35pm
not to mention your battery guarenteed to be flat if u forget to turn lights off when parked for few hours. whereas LED uses SFA power.

richardmayes, Mar 20, 8:29pm
Oh I see. LED lights would save me a COOL 20c EVERY time I drive to Palmerston North. I guess that would eventually add up to. something? (A set of LED lights perhaps?)

I was taught that you check auxhilaries like lights, wipers etc are off before stopping the engine, and that this is just a core part of driving that you always do, so leaving lights on to flatten the battery is of no concern to me.

ianalice1, Mar 20, 9:30pm
Good point.
But I have seen a police car, driving, with only park lights on.
Tut, tut.

ianalice1, Mar 20, 9:33pm
Thanks guys, for all the feed back.
Think might need some of these, as cars often pull out, from intersections like I'm not even there.
I will turn headlights on, as and when required.
IE, heavy rain, etc.
A few days back we had hospital appointments at 8am and left home at 07:30.
Wasn't to light, so had my driving lights on.
Found very few had theirs on.

Mind you, my wife keeps telling me, Matthew 7:1-2, ???Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

rovercitroen, Mar 20, 11:54pm
I fitted a pair of day running lights to my NA Mazda MX5. The stayed on with park lights but went off when the headlights came on. I didn't want to drive during the day with the MX5 pop-up headlights up so I got the day running lights. My car was dark green and I had a few close calls where people pulled out and just didn't see a small dark coloured car.

wind.turbine, Mar 21, 12:28am
I only have just the position lights on when towing during daytime so the trailer lights are on, in poor lighting or at night main headlights are on as well

zephyrheaven, Mar 21, 1:16am
Ive fitted them to mine and my wifes cars, we live on a 100km stretch of tourist roads & have had a few close calls with campers wandering on corners, more so the farmers with little or no lighting pulling out in bailing and tractor equipment - no problems since & that was a good 9 months ago.
I cant recommend the use of them enough, they dont make you bullet proof but they do make you visible from many miles away.

ianalice1, Mar 21, 2:53am
Ours is silver metallic and thought was a safe car, but the amount of times I have to slow down, with in inconsiderate drivers pulling out.

seadubya, Mar 21, 3:00am
Yep, some people don't even see you with all lights blazing, that's when you need http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/M240_CROWS.jpg

poppajn, Mar 21, 3:18am
Still illegal isn't it?