Ok I`m on the road

Page 1 / 2
sandypheet, Dec 24, 5:31pm
From Rotorua to Karaka this afternoon. I promise to be well behaved, considerate to other road users as I will be towing our boat. What worries me is that although I can keep up with the flow of traffic Im only allowed to go 94 kph max so I will get out of the way where and when possible.

xs1100, Dec 24, 5:38pm
what way you going,that would be nice that you consider others problem is your only one of thousands

nightboss, Dec 24, 6:28pm
The biggest issue for considerate towing people is the muppets that stack up behind without the power or skill to pass. Even on long clear straights they are too scared to go near 100 to pass. Over the next few days there will be hundreds taking their annual country trip to see family.

Just be prepared to pull over if the tail gets to about 8 cars, especially if the closest to you are staying put km after km. The drivers 3rd and 4th behind are the dangerous ones that will be safer in front of you.

mopar63, Dec 24, 6:51pm
I tow a work trailer daily and find it's easier just to keep up with the traffic,most of the time if you move over to the the verge people still won't pass unless there's a passing lane

nightboss, Dec 24, 7:39pm
Agree, moving to the verge just confuses the muppets, only two safe options. [1] Maintain a constant speed and let them sort themselves out, [2] pull over and stop until the line has passed.
As for passing lanes, maintain the speed you were doing at the start of passing lane if you do not intend to pass anyone. If you speed up in the left lane you will cause problems for others and yourself.

bashfulbro, Dec 24, 7:55pm
An interesting point, In days gone by, truckies would always do this, when it was safe, move left and wave cars on, the cars would toot and wave, with thanks.
These days, the CVIU, have, and will issue truck drivers with tickets for doing so.
As the lanes are now marked with white lines, crossing the left one to make room for cars, is ,' failing to stay within the prescribed lane '
So next time you get stuck behind a truck, that does`t move left to let you go, even when there is ample room, just remember, there`s a reason.

twink19, Dec 24, 8:05pm
when towing our caravan I keep up with the flow, and at passing lanes I reduce speed to give those that want to, time to pass

peja, Dec 24, 8:43pm
I commend your courtesy, I just wish everyone drove like you. In my experience people towing boats arent usually a problem anyway

snapperheadrkp, Dec 24, 9:00pm
My observations of collectively the most inconsiderate drivers on NZ roads are private horse trucks,or trailered horse floats pulled by large SUVs.
When I do finally get past them, I observe that over 80% of the drivers are blond females.

tweake, Dec 24, 9:24pm
thats good to hear.
one big problem around here is trucks pull over and its an open invitation for cars to overtake head on into oncoming traffic. then you also have the situation where the shoulder runs out and truck has to pull back into the lane and sideswipe the car overtaking it.

tweake, Dec 24, 9:27pm
horse trucks/floats drive slow and gentle. if they drive to fast or rough the horses stick theirs legs out to hold them selves up and can put the their feet through the sides of the float or into the legs of the horse next to them. last thing you want is a horse going mental.
give the horse guys some room and overtake when required.

peja, Dec 24, 10:15pm
Absolutely reasonable, I wouldnt expect them to drive fast. However when opportunity arises they could and should pull over to let others past. Some of them do this to their credit

tweake, Dec 24, 10:30pm
pulling over to let someone pass is extremely subjective.
if you pulled over every time there was a few cars behind you, you would not drive anywhere.
around here a 20 car queue is not unreasonable (normal traffic), tho i suspect many south of the bombays would disagree.

supernova2, Dec 24, 10:40pm
It must be a requirement that if you own a horse the "lady" must be blonde. I blame Prince Charles for starting a fashion!

xs1100, Dec 24, 10:40pm
20 cars behind you when you have a clear lane is just being a absolute twat horses or no horses

pestri, Dec 25, 12:35am
Better to slow down on the passing lanes really! Just a reduction of 10kmh or so will allow many more to pass without inconveniencing yourself at all.

tweake, Dec 25, 12:53am
my point exactly. you have no idea what traffic is. try telling a jaffa that the 200 cars in front of you should pull over and let you pass. LOL

eg i did a trip down south to Whanganui and (not include auckland motorway) had more traffic in the first 15 minutes than the rest of the 6 hour drive.

brapbrap8, Dec 25, 5:20am
I really hope that wasn't you I passed just south of Tirau this afternoon with a boat trailer off in the grass and skid marks down the road from when the wheel fell off!
Somebodys day didn't go well.

sandypheet, Dec 29, 12:43am
What a great trip up, traffic was a breeze, thought I would tag along behind a truck just after Matamata, he pulled away from me until the Bombays. Left at 7.30 this morning to come home, not a lot of traffic and an easy cruise home.

sw20, Dec 29, 12:58am
Winter, pitch black night, SH1 between Kaikoura and Blenheim. Q7/Toerag or similar towing a horsefloat with eight cars behind them doing 85-90km/h. No problems there. The problem was the towing vehicle in front only had their lights on dip so you couldn't see anything past them.

I know the road like the back of my hand because I probably have driven it literally a hundred times. So I picked my spots and jumped, car to car, then showed the towing vehicle how full beams work, then carried on my way.

berg, Dec 29, 6:00am
I'm still waiting to see a copy of that ticket. I'm pretty sure it's either an urban myth or there is a lot more to it than just pulling over to let something past

xs1100, Dec 29, 8:06pm
im on the road today also souh to north but don't worry I have my gps to sort my speed out and my radar detetctor

maximan, Dec 29, 11:15pm
# 22 no urban myth,also called creating an extra lane,personally know of truckies being given warnings or tickets. have had a safety poster on the wall at work, 1 metre between you and disaster, meaning there is not a lot of room on some roads between the fog line and water table. i will pull over where i can,but there are not that many places that are safe when you carry a liquid load that does move,and i drive all types of roads, day and night depending which shift i am on

xs1100, Dec 30, 7:23am
ok not 20 cars but at least 9 or 10 and otherside if the road a passing lane. white line our side and no one using passing lane other side should of seen the looks I got hahaha. come on people use yr head. I know I know if you go 105ks either a policemans going to jump out and tkt you on the spot or you will erupt into flames right then and there and kill 50 other people in the process or you could go. this is a safe manoeuvre that solves a porblem

xs1100, Dec 31, 6:17am
still waiting on nightsky1 to respond