90S Nissan timing chain problems?

trogedon, Mar 8, 4:59am
We're interested in a '99 Nissan with a 1.5 engine. My mechanic said the timing chain tensioners fail or the chain stretches or something like that. Apparently it put the crank angle sensor and another sensor out of sync causing the engine to run poorly. It costs a heap to fix. What's the truth on this?

intrade, Mar 8, 6:03am
yes with a oscilloscope you check that some have variable cam phaser that can also get blocked up when you dont do oil changes, Scope on camshaft and crankshaft are the 2 sensors

msigg, Mar 8, 7:11am
Well yes, the primera 1.8 can do that if they stretch or wear, the pulsar 1.5 I think is all good, we have two of these for children with 200k and they are all good, these are cheap cars so if there was an expensive problem then off they go , So best to check all out when cold start up and hot start up. So long as all the servicing is done they should be all good, have seen them up to 320k all good.

trogedon, Mar 8, 7:30am
Thanks. Its a dealer and they have no servicing record. It has relatively low mileage so not likely to show yet. I'm wondering at the possibility of it happening. My mechanic did the chain and modifications years ago and it cost the customer $2800! He said now with the kit they can do them for $2k which is way more than we'd ever want to put into it.

xs1100, Mar 8, 7:40am
also try and do a service on it and put a good diesel oil in it for like 5000ks that will clean up the internals

joanie04, Mar 8, 9:41am
My 1999 Nissan Avenir had a stretched timing chain had travelled 157,788 km when the work was done. It cost me just over $1,800. That included the chain, tensioner, guides, seals and water pump etc. I have been told by a friend that he knew someone also with an Avenir that was quoted well over $2,000 for the same job. Both prices were from Nissan dealerships. I hadn't long had the car, had no intention of selling and have travelled over 20,000km both long distance and round down with no issues.

joanie04, Mar 8, 9:42am
My 1999 Nissan Avenir had a stretched timing chain had travelled 157,788 km when the work was done. It cost me just over $1,800. That included the chain, tensioner, guides, seals and water pump etc. I have been told by a friend that he knew someone also with an Avenir that was quoted well over $2,000 for the same job. Both prices were from Nissan dealerships. I hadn't long had the car, had no intention of selling and have travelled over 20,000km both long distance and round down with no issues since.

morrisman1, Mar 8, 6:32pm
What motor is in the car troggy?

intrade, Mar 8, 6:37pm
i hope you had a oil change or 2 in the 20,000km. ?

joanie04, Mar 8, 11:55pm
If you are referring to me intrade yes it has. I religiously have my vehicle serviced every six months as I struggle to travel 10,000km in that time. My father and my brother are both in the trade with a combined experience of well over 90 years and my brother particularly has a vast knowledge basis of vehicles and plant. My father would not let any of us sit our licence until we could change a tyre, knew about basic servicing and could diagnose basic problems. Mind you I have been driving and owned vehicles for close to 40 years.

kazbanz, Mar 9, 12:52am
troggy--you are driving a vehicle with the same engine.--how many miles has that done?

trogedon, Mar 9, 3:44am
My Sentra (208k kms) is a twin cam isn't this a sohc?

vtecintegra, Mar 9, 3:49am
Yep completely difference engines

kazbanz, Mar 9, 3:50am
becha s not -becha same engine as your old one.

vtecintegra, Mar 9, 4:03am
That Wingroad has a QG and was the first model to use it - anything older will have a completely unrelated engine

joanie04, Mar 9, 5:23am
My Avenir also has a QG engine.

wayned, Mar 9, 5:52am
QG15 & GA15 are very similar engines. Both 73.6mm bore, 88mm stroke. QG is a newer more developed version. I've got GA and had a QG which had 220k with no chain issues.

joanie04, Mar 9, 6:01am
We think with mine it was lack of regular servicing. Couldn't find a service sticker on the car at all. Oil didn't look clean. So far no more issues.

msigg, Mar 9, 6:02am
GA engine is bullet proof, as far as engine's go.

trogedon, Mar 9, 6:06am
Just reading on a Nissan forum - it seems to be old oil and weak chains. Pretty hard to 'service' the latter without costly replacement. We really like the car but this may put (me) us off.

jmma, Mar 9, 6:08am
You'll probably have an old bike chain that will fit it! :oP

trogedon, Mar 9, 6:26am
I have but my enormous leg power stretches them! (or perhaps I'm stretching the truth. )

kazbanz, Mar 9, 8:49am
You did notice its the 1500 not the 1800 didn't you?
Same engine as in pulsar,sunny.lucino, 1500 sylphy etc

kazbanz, May 8, 3:14am
I bet you had an 1800 or 2.0l