Backing lights for WOF?

2sheddies, Nov 27, 8:12am
Yes or no guys? Long story slightly shorter, I needed a replacement bootlid for my ED 'Coon. Managed to find one the same colour at a good price, but it's off an earlier EA, so my garnish, which includes the backing lights, won't fit. I've decided I can probably live without the lights and with the wrong garnish. it'll bug me but meh. but are you required to have reversing lamps if the car was fitted with them as OEM?

Many thanks for advice.

skin1235, Nov 27, 8:21am
not on the checklist

mr_lovebug, Nov 27, 8:24am
My understanding is that you can only have 1 hi stop light.

It can either be in the back window OR on the wing, NOT Both.

jmma, Nov 27, 8:24am

jmma, Nov 27, 8:26am
Should have gone to specsavers Lol (o:
Backing lights!

mr_lovebug, Nov 27, 8:30am
Sorry, been a long few days and YES not looking properly not helping. lol.

msigg, Nov 27, 8:39am
No don't need them.

intrade, Nov 27, 8:47am
link in post 4 dont talks about needed or not. i have always passed with no reverse light the wof tester non of em ever checked reverse lamps

jmma, Nov 27, 9:04am
Note 2 should cover it (o:

2sheddies, Nov 27, 9:04am
Ah, cheers guys! Much appreciated. Now I don't need to worry about that.

Incidentally, re mr lovebugs post, as far as I'm aware, I do believe you can have more than one high stop. I had a car previously with a normal high stop in the rear window, and a LED strip in the spoiler which always passed.

Cheers again fellas.

thewomble1, Nov 27, 9:35am
If BACKING LIGHTS fitted they must work. New boot . no lights fitted so they don't have to work.

thewomble1, Nov 27, 9:38am
I had a car with similar 3rd brake light setup and I had to disconnect one of them . I disconnected the one in the rear winfdow.

mm12345, Nov 27, 9:45am
What possible reason might there be for why an additional brake light might be a safety issue?

daryl14, Nov 27, 7:10pm
You can always fit a reversing spot (or two) to the underside of the bumper if you want.

bjmh, Nov 27, 9:44pm
anal LTSA mad us reject vehicles that had additional hi-stops fitted. as in one in the spoiler and one in the rear window. not dissimilar to the first round of window tints,that saw whole cars being made to strip every window tint,only to have the rules change 6 months down the track on some vehicles. real good for customer relations.

intrade, Nov 27, 9:50pm
A reversing lamp that does not comply with equipment, condition and performance requirements must be made to comply or be disabled so that it does not emit a light.

so if the thing dont work no more means its automatically disabled it self

therafter1, Nov 28, 12:58am
It may not be on the check sheets, but it is covered in the VIRM with the attached requirements.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/reversing-lamps

therafter1, Nov 28, 1:02am
Whilst on the subject of Wof's, the attached is exactly what I (and others on here) predicted would be the outcome of going to 12 month Wofs . it is all well as good for the responsible motorists that DO KNOW HOW AND WHAT to check on their vehicles . but what about those that DO NOT . I'm quite sure that I do not feel comfortable with other coming at me at 100kph with rubber ware like this adorning the corners of their vehicles.

Cant complain tho, as it has led to an upsurge in recovery requirements due to roadside tyre failures!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/74435424/change-to-oneyearlong-warrants-of-fitness-means-dangerous-tyres-on-our-roads

mm12345, Nov 28, 1:13am
Unfortunately, Darwin's cure for dumb kills innocent people here.
You only need to look around supermarket car parks to see the extent of that problem.
I thought that to compensate for that particular issue, cops were supposed to be checking and issuing infringements?

bjmh, Nov 28, 1:14am
yep see it at least once a week and brake rotors that look like they have been through an endurance test,to see how long steel on steel lasts,had a classic yesterday. noted a rear seat squab falling out,looked for the centre seat belt. nothing just 2 bolts in the floor. told the owner . her response was "aww yer my brother borrowed it". kids carseats either side. I wonder which kid drew the short straw to sit in the middle.

therafter1, Nov 28, 1:16am
I fink dat the gubbermint is still workin on dat one and trying to get the cheapest tenderer for the job, in the interim the rest of us just have to wonder about the condition of whatever is barrelling at us while they (the drivers) focus on the more important issues, like changing to another album on their I-pods . priorities you know mate, priorities!

2sheddies, Aug 30, 1:31am
Well after all that I've got backing lights now anyway lol! The EA fitment was different in several ways and wasn't suitable, so the very helpful lads at the wreckers found me a good ED one instead. Just means I have to paint its but that's no biggie.

Still handy to know this for future reference though.