Tips and Suggestions for buying an Import Car

millesime, Mar 7, 8:10pm
Hi guys,
I'm looking at buying an import here in chch. I'm after something to get me to and from work and around town. It needs to handle some of the bumpy roads here. My budget is 6-7k and I'm after an automatic.

For my price range I've found these models, I was wondering if anyone could offer their view on the models and which one they'd recommend. As I don't have a clue when it comes to car shopping and would like to get something decent.

Honda Fit JAZZ 2005
Mazda Demio 2005
Mitsubishi Colt Plus 2006
Toyota Yaris Vitz F 2004

Many thanks for your time :)

kazbanz, Mar 7, 8:33pm
in my opinion all of your choices are pretty darn good cars.
The fit does have a problem with the uatomatic gearbox that costs about $2000 to fix.
The other three are as a rule just solid reliable cars.
THAT SAID --this is a generic reply
Given you know nothing about cars I would definitely be getting a comprehensive pre purchase inspection carried out.

tamarillo, Mar 7, 9:13pm
Bit I'm worried about is dealing with the bumpy roads in chch. It's a real issue with reports of suspension, shocks, etc failing in far far higher rate than is usual.
All of these are small cars with a relatively small wheels. They won't ride those bumps very well. They'll do it of course, but if that it a strong priority a bigger car might suit better. One car size up will help here. Mazda 3, Ford Focus etc. thoughts OP?

bwg11, Mar 7, 10:34pm
You make a good point. Christchurch roads are in a shocking state. My wife bought a new Swift Sport nearly 3 years ago, it has spent its entire life in and around Christchurch, and is still totally creak and rattle free, which I think is a very creditable performance. That is with the 45 section tyres too.

dublo, Mar 7, 10:41pm
We have used two Nisan Tiida rental cars in Christchurch, because they were cheap. (So am I!) They gave a firm but reasonably comfortable ride on the open road, but an awful choppy motion in town - avoid!

dublo, Mar 7, 10:49pm
bwg11 mentions the low profile (45) tyres on his wife's Suzuki Swift. Low profile tyres naturally give a harder ride than standard tyres, and can give alloy rims a hard time when they encounter pot holes and ridges. Witness the good business engineering firms get rolling rims back into shape, and the large piles of damaged ones in metal recyclers' depots!

millesime, Mar 7, 11:19pm
Cheers, for the info guys. Will see if there's anything the next size up close to my budget. Otherwise can you get the smaller cars fitted with heavy duty/ bigger tires? Would that help with suspension?

franc123, Mar 7, 11:27pm
Yes you can, but given the amount of choice you have in that market you may as well buy one which has smaller rims (and therefore higher tyres) already fitted to it. A dealer may help you out with a swap if you find something you really like but has large rims and low profile tyres on it.

kazbanz, Mar 7, 11:44pm
Ok now to be clear- The cars you have chosen have 14 or 15 inch wheels.
The tyres are 65 profile tyres on the 14 inch and 55 on the 15 inch.
pretty much the standard size for most cars in the 1990's and most of the early 2000's-so they aren't "tiny" wheels.
The 65 profile is whats called high profile-so absorbs a reasonable amount of impact.
Of the three choices only the Vitz/yarris I would call a small car
Take them for a drive and feel what they drive like.

nannie2, Apr 30, 8:17pm
I heard that about the imported Hondas that is why I stick to nz new . at least they are not stuck in traffic for hours a day doing nothing but idling.