Page 1 / 2
pf, Feb 18, 2:06am

woki, Feb 18, 2:27am
Yep I agree ! We should ban fun !

thejazzpianoma, Feb 18, 2:40am

offrd1, Feb 18, 3:16am
yes far to much fun. lock them up. they would be far better with a P habit

headcat, Feb 18, 3:56am
What we need is "a tough new law". That'll show em.

cmscott111, Feb 18, 4:08am
truck drivers on cell phones is far worse

pf, Feb 18, 4:14am
why would you want to do that . are you the fun police ? .

dublo, Feb 18, 4:36am
A track is the place for those antics, not the road. I wonder how many cars they hit and damaged, and how much mayhem they caused on the road. The guy who came off must have lost some skin - he was wearing a helmet, but no arm or leg protection. Hope the cops throw the book at them.

offrd1, Feb 18, 4:43am
thats the one. why not. the naughty boys [ girls ] be far better rapping and pillaging . i bet you are the most law abiding citizen in the country [ and probably the most boring ]

pf, Feb 18, 4:57am
do you think your employer Fonterra would be happy with you if you rolled their milk tanker after coming around a corner and had to avoid one of these drifting clowns coming towards you on the wrong side of the road ? .

purple666, Feb 18, 5:04am
You just run them over, they know the risks, that's what makes it such great fun I would think.

offrd1, Feb 18, 5:07am
got a little bit if news for you. these trike's are on the Takaka Hill quite a bit . no worse than the silly Lycra brigade on there bikes. in fact i would say the bikes are far more dangerous and a lot more of a pain

pf, Feb 18, 5:35am
would have thought a 'professional' ? driver such as yourself would appreciate the difference between those acting within the rules of the road and those who have no regard for them .

fordcrzy, Feb 18, 5:43am
how is this any different from doing tricks on your BMX or skateboard? . that moron cop needs to get a life. those carts were only doing about 30 kmh. seriously these no brained humourless cops just need to Eff off and do some real policing.

daryl14, Feb 18, 6:09am
The difference is, they have slim to no control and can't stop in a hurry. Thus endangering themselves and legitimate road users. Imagine if he'd skidded into a pedestrian walking out onto the road. Instant court appearance. Looks like great fun on a track but on the road is retarded.

tamarillo, Feb 18, 6:10am
ban all fun, ban the young. Weren't we all young once! Ok they went too far but damn it looks fun!

darryl, Feb 18, 6:12am
Yes yes - let them have their fun . and screw anyone else who disagrees.

Usual self centered, arrogant, immature attitude from the types that ride these trikes.

trogedon, Feb 18, 6:55am
I've watched a few drift cart videos (sold a bicycle to a guy who was big into it too) and it really looks like FUN but. not on public roads. There are plenty of other ways for them to get their jollies these days like downhill MTB etc.

extrayda, Feb 18, 8:22am
Crap, I agree with trog. Now if they were doing a burnout.
Looks like awesome fun, but if one of them hit my car and did damage, then rode off I would be less than impressed (given ridiculous costs for panelbeating)! Would also be pretty horrendous if one of them ended up under your car ripped to shreds. Lucky I'm too old because I kind of want one.

fordcrzy, Feb 18, 8:24am
they can stop almost instantly. did you not watch them doing 360's where they simply flung it around on the spot from moving? so many Nanas out there that think that having a bit of fun is tant amount to urban terrorism. get a feakin life people. they were only doing about 20-30kmh. just look at when that girl fell off. all she did was tip over. no huge roll down the street from excessive speed or anything. youd be more injured falling off a skateboard on the footpath.

fordcrzy, Feb 18, 8:27am
oh and as for "pedestrians on the road" well HEEEEELLLLLOOOOOO. its a ROAD and roads are not for pedestrians. if you get hit by something while you are walking on the road then it is YOUR OWN FAULT for not looking at what is coming towards you

ignition328, Feb 18, 3:44pm
We must only damage cars with other cars, people who damage cars with other cars are always responsible and leave their details and everybody flying around in their cars is no cause for concern no matter what their actions.

I think it's more a case of responsibility with who you are, shopping trollies do a tonne of damage but no one is out for blood on them "calls for them to be banned" and other media rubbish that you usually hear. I can judge their individual actions but I won't be trolled into accepting a notion of "it's not normal, we're not sure it's legal therefore condemn the users"

The fact they quote the usual line "further action". How about they shut their damn gobs, go have a talk and see what comes of it rather than set this tone/precedent for everyone to gawk at. In a time where someone will call a person in over smacking a kid who has just thrown over an entire shelf of toys and yet they didn't get a complaint about the trikes I'd say they're probably less bothersome than the story even tries to imply.

I think I need to go out and build one, but throw a little 250cc motor off a motorbike on it instead so I can be really annoying.

daryl14, Feb 18, 7:46pm
The guy hit a car parked in a parallel car park. Nope never going to be any PEDs walking anywhere around that huh? What if a lady was pushing her baby round to the back of the car?

The only braking is on the front wheel. The rear is designed to have the least grip on the road possible. What happened when he braked? The rear wheels overtook the front and then the front wheel was dragged along behind providing no braking at all.

They need a rubber stopper underneath like on a luge to provide positive braking. Perfectly appropriate for the cops to charge with sustained loss of traction or failing to stop, or unroadworthy vehicle, or even dangerous driving.

I have seen petrol powered versions being built and ridden by engineering students in a controlled environment. We all saw the downhill variants on the news a year or so ago crashing into cars or having near misses as well.
They are not in control so shouldn't be on the road. Pretty sure no motorised vehicles are allowed on the road without a vehicle license too.

Those guys know what they did was dumb and have agreed it should be kept on the track. But now we will get young guys who think they deserve to use the road on drift trikes going out copying those actions, and there will be carnage. Thanks a bunch.

nukhelenc, Feb 18, 8:15pm

esprit, Feb 18, 9:02pm
They're illegal no matter how they're riding as they don't have friction brakes as mandated by law.

They ride through pedestrian areas (in traffic islands), riding on painted medians, failing to keep left, no hand signals. there's a lot that can be done to throw the book at them if desired.

Looks like cool fun, but it's the sort of thing that shouldn't be done on the roads.

If people drive their cars on the road in similar fashion to how those guys ride, you're looking at instant loss of licence and impounding of the vehicle. yet another reason people hate cyclists since they (and their ilk) seem to get away with so much.