Engine Bay

Page 1 / 2
jan423, May 5, 8:16am
Does anyone know the best way to get car engine cleaned and everything else cleaned under the bonnet.

franc123, May 5, 8:24am
Spray on degreaser followed by a high pressure rinse.

jan423, May 5, 8:34am
Thank you. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it as frightened I would harm something in the electrics etc.Do you know if it is very expensive to get someone to do it for me? and do workshops do it?

seadubya, May 5, 8:38am
Car groomers often offer this service.

jan423, May 5, 8:40am
Oh good, thank you, will find out how much it costs to have done.

franc123, May 5, 8:50am
You do have to take care about how you go about it, its all too easy to get water into areas where it shouldn't be. It would be best to get a pro job if you aren't certain of what you are doing.

nesta129, May 5, 8:51am
First of all. what car (year and model)Some of the older model cars,you need to be careful with.And yup car groomers offer this service.

a18a, May 5, 9:00am
and take the car for a good drive afterwards to burn off all that degreaser smell, if you dont like the smell that is

jan423, May 5, 9:02am
It is a 1997 Toyota Tercel Sedan

nesta129, May 5, 9:04am
Yup best take that car to the pros. This one ain't a home job.

jan423, May 5, 9:04am
Yes I will get the pro's to do it when I have the spare money. Probably wont be cheap lol.

jan423, May 5, 9:04am
Yes I will do and thanks.

nesta129, May 5, 9:06am
Last place I was at,they were charging $150 for an engine clean. and somehow they managed to screw up a fairly new Holden (back in 2006) so the company paid for the damages.

jan423, May 5, 9:08am
Wow that is scary, hope nothing happens to my old car when I get it done.

nesta129, May 5, 9:12am
Yeah just check with them how they will do it.I was told by my mechanic that if I was going to clean my engine bay at home,best to wrap the distributor and its wiring in a plastic bag,then tape it up tight and just spray degreaser as per usual but don't spray the water too hard around the distributor area.Don't focus spray too close on areas with heapsa wiring too. And also have the engine running as you rinsing the engine.Then go for a good drive after.

xs1100, May 5, 9:26am
I d be more worried about some of the modern cars more at least the old ones take the dizzy cap off wipe it out and your off again

nesta129, May 5, 9:43am
Newer ones are easy to clean in the engine bay. anyone can do it,just don't spray water into the air intake thinking you wana give it a good rinse out too.
But yeah modern cars are a bit more complicated when things go wrong.

intrade, May 5, 10:17pm
a 98 polo vr6 and there like have stickers under the bonnet with a warning not to make anything wet as it will damage electronic components. and it will be the same for most newer cars

m16d, May 5, 10:26pm
So why would you want to wash down the engine room. it's not going to make the car run any better,and no body is going to see it anyway.

seadubya, May 5, 10:31pm
The last car I got groomed before I sold it was along the lines of exterior clean and polish, interior clean and armourall, steam clean under the bonnet, $160 all up. Prices can vary greatly, some car yards offer grooming service as well if you are looking for a few prices.

bigfatmat1, May 6, 3:54am
maybe they want to clean it so there mechanic doesn't have to work on filth, maybe it's had a oil leak or trying to locate oil leak. Maybe they don't want oil in places it's not meant to get like alternator,starter or connectors, maybe they don't want the dust and sand getting into places it shouldn't, maybe selling it want it to look nice.

socram, May 6, 4:26am
Or maybe like me, can't stand a mucky under bonnet area.

jan423, May 6, 4:27am
Yep the whole underneath the bonnet is filthy, doesn't look like its been looked after. I only brought the car 2 weeks ago but it was pretty dark when I viewed it so never really saw what it looked like. My fault for not checking properly.

jan423, May 6, 4:29am
That is a really good price. I am asking around to see what prices there are at the moment. Also want to get it cut and polished.

lookoutas, May 6, 5:40am
The best people who should know where not to squirt, are mechanics. Most workshops have a steam cleaner, so if you're not sure on doing it yourself, go to a workshop where the best expert is.

Re m16d. If OP wants it clean, then good on them.
I'll bet their car is well vacuumed out inside too. Doesn't sound like yours is.