Spark Plug Query

floydbloke, Oct 2, 4:10am
The Honda needs IZFR6K-11S spark plugs. The IZFR6K-11(without the S) is more commonly available. Apparently the only difference is a special gasket. Can I re-use the gaskets from the existing plugs (I assume they just slide off one and onto the other) our should I make sure to replace them with the proper part number, gasket and all?

And while I'm at it, the manual doesn't list what the gap should be?

jmma, Oct 2, 4:34am
The special gasket will now be squashed, shouldn't re-use it.
Plug will be pre-gapped (o:

floydbloke, Oct 2, 4:43am
Understood. Thanks jmma.

franc123, Oct 2, 4:48am
They should be already gapped correctly, 11 at the end of the number=1.1mm gap, but double check it anyway with a proper gap gauge or feeler gauge. While the gaskets are supposed to be a use once its usually possible to reuse them without trouble if they are torqued down right. Remember to also use an antisieze compound on the plug threads.

floydbloke, Oct 2, 5:55am
Good tip, thanks. I hadn't even heard of this stuff until I read this.

panicky, Oct 2, 6:16am
No modern spark plug manufacturers recommend anti-seize. This is what NGK have to say: NGK spark plugs feature what is known as Trivalent plating. This silver or Chrome colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. This coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers whom have over tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant alterating torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage.

franc123, Apr 4, 10:28am
No problem, it beats having a fight with them down the track.