Smaller SUV

homebrew79, Nov 2, 8:30pm
We are looking at downgrading our Santa Fe as we no longer need the power and the diesel makes no sense for us anymore. Our #1 priority is good on the gas as most of our travel is around town now. We are looking for something 2010 or later. Considering a CX5, IX35, Outlander, Rav? Any others I should be looking at or should be removing from this list?

msigg, Nov 2, 8:39pm
All of the above are good, if smaller I would look at the cx3, they are fast, comfortable and cheap to run, the sante fe is not much bigger than the others and will be just as cheap to run, also there is the change over in value to consider.

jayzeeb, Nov 2, 9:34pm
If you like your Santa Fe have you considered the Hyundai ix35 - try to get a Series II model as it has a much improved suspension and handling

tamarillo, Nov 2, 11:38pm
Why not get something with the same running gear, but will be lighter so be even more economical? Hatchback.
If you must SUV Mazda cx3/5, ford kuga, Skoda yeti, new Honda Hrv if new.
Better is Mazda 3, Ford Fiesta, etc.

pico42, Nov 3, 2:25am
Why an SUV in mostly around town?

homebrew79, Nov 3, 2:29am
We have always had SUV's so we were looking at those first. We need the boot space so I guess a station wagon is the next option?

homebrew79, Nov 3, 2:30am
I would actually be happy with either a Mazda 3 or Ford Fiesta however we need to boot space =(

trouser, Nov 3, 2:36am
A Honda hrv would be my first choice for boot space.

tamarillo, Nov 3, 3:18am
Ford Focus or VW golf wagons maybe? Good boot space, more than small SUV I'd say, but still lighter. Easier to load too. my dog struggle with my old Volvo!
If new the cx3/5 and Honda Hrv are best liked by Aussie wheels mag testing. Your library might have may 2015 edition.

tamarillo, Nov 3, 4:57am
If you're up for a new car, Google fiat 500X, it's due in NZ soon. It's not simply a fat fiat 500, it's a small SUV and reports overseas are very favourable.

stevo2, Nov 3, 5:55am
Mrs Stevo just bought a new Suzuki S-Cross Ltd 1600cc. It is the perfect size for around town but still travels well on the open road with heaps of room in the front and rear.
Its rated at 5.9lt/100km and hers is currently achieving 6.1lt/100km.

tarant, Nov 3, 9:54am
CX3 owner here. Performs effortlessly around town (Auckland) and comfortably out of town. Back folds down into a flat deck or boot alone has the option of lowering a floating floor. Easy to park, responsive auto, power, economy, and a good looker.

Yeah, I'm happy.

kam04, Nov 4, 1:14am
Honda CR-V 2L. We have a 2012, very economical

smalltrader2, Nov 4, 1:42am
If you want an economy runabout vehicle for town with lot of space then HRV is a good choice. Its boot space is bigger than the CX5 (VDO standard) which is a surpise. I am sure the HRV can handle country driving as well.
If you want a small sporty Cross Over then CX3 is a good drive and a great looker. CX5 is also a good choice which is slightly larger.

Most reviews have put the CX5 and CX3 on top of the chart.

billyfieldman, Nov 4, 1:44am
Like the one that Pope Francis uses?

tamarillo, Nov 24, 8:30am
Bit newer. Idea of a mini SUV 500 sounded awful and expected huge ugliness. But actually it work, looks good, apparently drives good. Unlike the overweight minis it just works.
op , if light weight equaling smaller engine equaling economy appeals and up for something different check out Citroen cactus. Love or hate machine, I love it.