HOLDEN RODEO, NO THROTTLE

hamhonda, Oct 17, 3:20am
Just had problem, pulled away from round-about & ute seemed "gutless", thought I'd maybe left the handbrake on on the car trailer, stopped (left ute idling), trailer brake wasn't on either, hopped back in ute & seem it's idling at about 1200rpm, push acc. pedal but nothing happens. Checked throttle body & manually move the throttle, can see the butterfly shaft is moving but still won't rev. Unplugged & re-plugged TPS sensor, still no change. Restarted ute 3 times, no change, waited 5 minutes, restarted & revs fine again.
2004 Rodeo, 3litre diesel.

exwesty, Oct 17, 4:24am
x1
Fuel line or pump blocked?

intrade, Oct 17, 5:10am
ok do you have stability controll on that?
good discription of what happened by the way.

intrade, Oct 17, 5:13am
also post what engine code and what injection system commonrail or other?

evotime, Oct 17, 12:11pm
Had a few rodeos come in with various running faults or engine codes which were caused by faulty trailer wiring, from memory the stop light fuse also runs or affects some engine sensors. ( trailer blows stop light fuse -ute has engine fault)
It has been a while since I've worked on cars so my memory is fading a bit.
Ahhh there was a couple of very common things with them dam it I can't remember most of them.
Check the under hood fuses and the ones under the dash too.
I may have remembered some more faults by then.

tweake, Oct 17, 10:56pm
need engine model as i think that year they changed to common rail.

franc123, Oct 17, 11:06pm
One of those I think it was the 4JH1 was prone to oil leaking through the throttle shaft and killing the TPS, it may not necessarily log a fault code until contamination has got quite advanced. It'd be best to get the live data checked on a scan tool, the reading fluctuates when its idling or may not change at all with accelerator input.

intrade, Oct 17, 11:13pm
its a diesel need to know what you talk here because that dont makes enough sense to me quote " Checked throttle body & manually move the throttle, can see the butterfly shaft is moving but still won't rev.
" end quote
you realise diesel dont need a throttle and that thing is most unlikely to rais rpm
rpm is raised on diesel by chucking more fuel in the engine its why you get runnaway diesel . because they chuck there own sump oil in the intake.

hamhonda, Oct 17, 11:19pm
Yes its pre common rail type. 4JH1 engine

intrade, Oct 17, 11:20pm
now here is what that butterfly is used for on most diesel
its to shut the air off or restrict air while egr as active
Remember diesel have a external vaccume pump because they dont make enough vaccume . that flap crates vaccume to draw more egr gas it would move to shut more= a vaccume draws the egr inn.
then it can fully shut off all air= its needed to smoother stop the engine for comfort for the driver and to not stress the dual mass flywheel to much on shutdown.
these are the reasons there is a flap that looks like a butterly throttle when it is not for that.
So yea model of engine and take a picture of what you talk about upload to iforce and post link
http://www.iforce.co.nz/
now having said all that i had a tractor fordson dexta it used a throttle to regulate air , so its not impossible but its not common to do such things
if it has a tps then it be to tell the ecu position your gas pedal cable goes to this throttle thing ?

intrade, Oct 17, 11:37pm
The tps on a diesel with cable to engine is there to electronically tell the drivers wish via the sensor essentially that tps is not the ps its the accelerator position sensor. because the injector pump is electronic and has no phisical rack to move with a cable like old mechanical diesel.

hamhonda, Oct 17, 11:38pm
x1

intrade, Oct 17, 11:48pm
can i see a switch next to the sensor?

red plug its your accelerator position imput for the ecu, that is what this sensor should be called on a diesel like this.

intrade, Oct 17, 11:53pm
if there is a microswitch on there that is there to tell the ecu the trottle is in idle position and you can figure your self what will happen if it thinks its at idle .
otherwise it could be a fault with the big sensor. it could be a fault in the wiring , or it could be a fault inside the ecu bad electronics
i dont think it could be a software issue as its to old i would say for reflashing .
Now one more thing is that automatic or manual transmission ?
if its automatic a few more things can force it to limp mode.

tweake, Oct 18, 12:16am
could well be oil in the TPS or just worn out TPS.
otherwise the other big suspect is the injection pump. i think these run the vp44 style pumps which are well known for issues as they have a pump mounted ecu which plays up under high heat.

saltoftheearth, Oct 18, 12:19am
Had a similar issue with my 05 Rodeo and found the excelerator mount had partially broken away from the vehicles floor.
Drilled a few holes and pop riveted back in place,works fine now.

intrade, Oct 18, 12:20am
check if it is this pump and pray ! it dont has 2 plugs on the pump
this pump has no repair parts available . information from bosch germany trainer is where i got the info from.
http://www.freewebs.com/hcii/vp44%20pump%20cutaway.jpg

tweake, Oct 18, 12:45am
?
vp44 are repairable. not always if they score the housing to much.
had one of ours done 6 months ago.

intrade, Oct 18, 12:56am
there is no new pumps available from bosch for the 2 plug version or parts the 1 plug version you can order new pumps etc.
for the 2 plug ones it be diy tinkering to try and repair but for avarage joe means his car is scrap metal

tweake, Oct 18, 12:59am
the pumps are usually zexel. not sure what makes would have bosh pumps.

mram, Oct 18, 10:04am
x1
Has the check engine light come on hamhonda? When the throttle pedal plugs are removed it does what has happened to you, fast idle and throws check engine light

hamhonda, Dec 26, 2:16am
x1
Happened again this weekend (and of course in the middle of nowhere, single lane gravel road). But no engine check light comes on, had it at auto sparky but was running properly so no fault could be found. I did the same thing this time, unplugged the TPS twice, blew the plug out and plugged in again and started idling fine. Only $287 trade for new TPS, so getting one of them & fingers crossed that's all it is.