Is a 'crack repaired' head good as non cracked?

rosehonda, Nov 30, 7:15am
Looking for a spare aluminum cylinder head and have been offered one which has been cracked and then welded (repaired). Does it matter or should I wait for one that was never cracked in the first place?

franc123, Nov 30, 7:26am
Depends on the head and why its cracked, what warranty they will give, if it is a known problem and the cost and availability of a new one. A repaired one may be a cost effective option.

rosehonda, Nov 30, 7:43am
Repaired=$100
2nd hand non cracked=$400
New=No longer available

Does a repaired one mean it will have a weak spot? Or is it irrelevant?

2get1, Nov 30, 7:54am
alloy ? repaired properly, wont make any difference, should be fine. thats the beauty of alloy, easily repaired. You would be amazed at the state of some alloy heads in motorsport after a valve drops or some other type of major blow up. Re weld, machine, in a CNC and good as new.

Cracks in iron are abit harder to repair but can be repaired and last. Ive had some iron heads repaired and never had a problem.

Will all hinge on if it was done properly and by someone that knows what they are doing.

franc123, Nov 30, 7:58am
What motor is it off?

rosehonda, Nov 30, 9:11am
bmw m20

ola_bitchola1, Nov 30, 9:26pm
yup they are expensive its it the b25 head your after ? i may have one

toyboy3, Nov 30, 11:21pm
For the head to get hot and crack the alloy may of lost its hardness = future head gasket blowing as the head bolts may not hold their tension

sr2, Nov 30, 11:34pm
100 % correct!
(Those who claim you can successfully weld any alloy head have obviously never tried to repair a cracked Sierra Cosworth head!).

elect70, Dec 1, 4:20am
My experience says no > I had 2 alloy heads welded & only lasted a year or so . They must have been overheated to crack in first place . Plus the "alloy" today is full of recycled metals from scrap . ( unles its a a Ferrari made of hi silicon pure forged aluminium .

2get1, Dec 1, 6:03am
re heat treat after welding ? Ive seen a lot of alloy heads repaired successfully in the motorsport Im involved with. some of them repaired more than once aswell.

sr2, Dec 1, 8:16am
What type of motors are we talking about?

2get1, Dec 1, 8:42am
drag racing, but not all of them are purely strip cars, some duel purpose street strip. so see some real miles.

sr2, Aug 14, 11:04am
Overhead cam?