Flat drive belt correct name?

intrade, Jun 16, 11:52pm
dont know its name i got one of em on my lathe they fitted a new style one green colour reinforced webbing , i would say the old belts are not worth much since age disintigrates them and makes am more or less usless depending on how well they can hold up with age . some real old ones are leather ones

kenw1, Jun 16, 11:57pm
Yeah, this one is 90mm wide and about 6m long, its only up for a few bucks, better than throwing it away.

serf407, Jun 17, 12:50am
OSH seeker?

ross1970, Jun 17, 2:30am
No such thing as OSH anymore. Hasn't been for years.

sas777, Jun 17, 3:50am
Had a look on Wikipedia, they just call it a flat belt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_%28mechanical%29#Flat_belts

poppy62, Jun 17, 3:58am
sas777 is right it's just a flat belt. A can (aerosol) of "belt grip" is handy to have can prolong the need to replace a worn belt.

briantamaki-god, Jun 17, 7:28am
Conveyor belt ?

moggyman, Jun 17, 8:13am
Serpentine belt!

kenw1, Jun 2, 6:02pm
This used to be driven off the front of a diesel engine in a trawler, up through a hole in the deck to the trawl winch, if we had a lot of weight in the net, sometimes the belt would stretch so much, that we stop heaving and slip the belt off cut a section out and put those awful hammer on clips on and rejoin just to get enough drive, and yes that was with belt stick ladled onto it as well. It would have a big swinging jockey wheel that pulled it tight, like really tight, big plummer block bearings on each side of the pulley off the engine.

One of the most dangerous occupations out, working on a side trawler.

Little bit of history here.