F&P Smart-drive rewire, micro-hydro

muzz67, Sep 20, 9:36pm
Ok, Am attempting to build a Smart-drive water-turbine,, have re-wired the stator to http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/images/42Pole7X2C.gif and built the bridge rectifier, http://www.yourgreendream.com/diy_fp_rewire3.php
Odd problem now,, seems to be producing TOO MUCH power?
Spinning the shaft with a battery drill, approx 600-700rpm, its knocks out about 50v and 10+ amps according to a very basic tester, operated by a very basic tester(me).
Am I testing it wrong or have I messed up something on the build?
Have a decent deep-cycle battery bank, with only solar charging so far.
Intend to use a proper Load-controller for the micro-hydro, if it works.
Bit off-topic, but I know theres a couple of off-grid families here.

audi_s_ate, Sep 20, 10:52pm
How are you testing the Amp output? Have you got something drawing that much out of it? Or just on the end of a multimeter? Just on maths 50v x10 amp = 500w Unless you have a very very powerful battery drill I would suggest that your measurements are out slightly.

audi_s_ate, Sep 20, 10:54pm
Get a few 12v bulbs in series and run them off your turbine and see if that 'settles' the voltage when you put the multimeter across it.

muzz67, Sep 20, 11:16pm
Cheers man, Drill is makita 18v, enough to hurt your wrist if it bites!
Testing so far is with no load.
Got an old 12v motor here, will have a play.

mm12345, Sep 20, 11:36pm
Well your current testing (10A+ you say) is definitely under load - almost a complete short circuit.
audi_s_ate's suggestion (12v bulbs in series) should work. The instructions linked to suggest that output (under some load?) is >30v. Is it supposed to charge a 24v system with charge controller? Perhaps 3 grunty 12v headlight bulbs in series is okay for a test load. Perhaps one grunty 150w incandescent 230v bulb will work and a bit easier to set up.
It's all probably fine.

muzz67, Sep 20, 11:40pm
Ok, progress!
With a 12v compressor hooked on, it shows 12v and 8amps, thats in drills lowest gear and top revs which is around 600-700rpm.
Doubt drill would handle a higher gear, needs a lot of torque to turn shaft.
Very interesting.

elect70, May 29, 3:35am
Need more speed up to 1425 rpm for max output .for water turbine probably need to gear it up as wont get water running that fast . They use these for wind turbines geared . I made one up many years ago for a hut for lighting . old guy in wgtn used to buy up all the motors he could find & do all sorts of things .