Orchard Heater / Smog Pot Fuel Level?

zephyrheaven, May 18, 7:01am
Ok so got me one of these old timey smog pots, youtubing was helpful to fire it up but I think I ran it too low on fuel, just used straight diesel this time / will switch to waste oil later on (no emissions at all out the chimney if you watch any videos)

Anyone had a play with these before? We saw them running last winter outside a pub in Akaroa & they were fantastic , especially the pulse jet kinda sound.

I only had about an inch of diesel in it, think a few inches would be better

Not my pic but gives you an idea - not motoring as such but its air + fuel & a pretty lovely sound

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/383476226.jpg

intrade, May 18, 8:02am
do you have a bowl where the oil drips in to?
my one is made in germany and has a feed pump with gearpump to pump waste oil in the bowl, always soot in the bowl , i will try spin the oil clean befor i burn it next time i light it up but probably will use the 400 liter vegetable oil i got for the waste burner.

les6, May 18, 9:26am
we have one and have used them at work.fill them right up(we need them to go as long as possible for frosts?
diesel is best but you can add wasteoil to them no and again,they get a bit harder to get going if you have straight oil.I just roll up a bit of newspaper dip it in pull it out and light it and drop it back in slowly.Usually in a hurry to get back in the bed when I am outin the frost in the bollocky lighting it?great for a pissup in the winter or a cold workshop?

motorboy2011, May 18, 5:15pm
Have seen a gas buyer under one to preheat the oil.

m16d, May 18, 6:40pm
You can run them on straight waste oil,but have to light it with a bit of petrol.
Wear a leather glove on the lighter hand because it can go "woomph"
Not the sort of things drunkin teenagers should be playing with.

zephyrheaven, Jan 24, 11:19am
Thanks guys, yep mainly a middle aged bogan warmer - the chiminea is a bit lackluster really & who doesnt like a science based fire!?

Ill fire it up again this weekend & see what happens, with 111 on speed dial and a large extinguisher handy - from what I can tell 600degc isnt hard to achieve with the right settings.