Airbag fault code 12 - NZ new Primera 2001 P11

tgray, Mar 22, 7:11pm
Airbag light started flashing quickly, so had it scanned and won't reset due to a fault.
Now it does one long flash followed by two quick flashes and mechanic says that is fault code 12.
Anyone know what fault code 12 is?
A quick internet search did not find it, although my skills in this dept are lacking.
Cheers.

intrade, Mar 22, 7:30pm
if your going to keep this car then buy a nissan consult cable and its software for the diagnostic plug that you have.
codes are a symptom ynd its probably a wire makes my guess already 80% correct.

intrade, Mar 22, 7:37pm
i found this forum and a manual might be your cars airbag system dont deploy your airbags when you mess abouts i would remove the cars battery first.
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?104727-P11-air-bag-light-problems

intrade, Mar 22, 8:07pm
apart from this i recommend you take it to a "good"! auto electrition who has a clue of how it works on these nissan. the pdf is a typical instruction for a swaptron moron. if this looks broken replace this that and the other , if ok try and replace that untill your finished replacing it all and if it still dont work do the obvious throw it away. the manual dont tells that and it does say test on the flow chart but no mentioning on how
its why you would need a good auto electrition who knows how to test , if you done the obciouse stuff like looking for broblems in seatbelt conectors and the rest of the easy things on the flow chart.

tgray, Mar 22, 8:47pm
Thanks for the advise.
Just a point, I wouldn't dare and try to fix it myself, I just wondered what fault code 12 is, so I might know what I am in for, regarding what needs to be done, cheers.

cypherboy, Mar 22, 9:34pm
Its either going to be the clockspring, airbag ecu or pretensioner seatbelts. Start swapping these parts untill the light goes away :)

BTW: It hasnt had the steering rack done lately has it?

tgray, Mar 22, 10:10pm
No, not done lately.
Ok, thanks for your advice.

ellroy, Mar 23, 8:21am
My old 2001 P11 had this three times over three or four years. An auto electrician would stop it happening using some sequence of turning the ignition on and off and pushing in the drivers door switch. Never did work out what caused the fault but it seemed to cure the problem.

bigfatmat1, Apr 17, 12:17pm
Code 12 relates to drivers airbag. It could be either clock spring or the airbag. The way I would check would be remove airbag place 1 or 2, 2 ohm resistor across clock spring depending if is a dual inflator. Clear codes if ok replace airbag if not remove clock spring. place 2 ohm resistor across plug try again if ok usea multi meter to determine a clock spring failure.