Hilux alternator replacement price.

thebluboy, Dec 12, 10:26am
Alternator on 09 hilux 2wd 2.7L petrol engine (2tr-fe) has shat itself. Have been quoted $1200 for it to be replaced. Is that a reasonable price? Seems a bit steep to me. Can't find any second hand alternators on here either to do it myself.

budgel, Dec 12, 12:20pm
There is anadvertisment for reconditioned Toyota alternators in the spare parts section on an exchange basis.
If they dont have one in stock, they would probably be prepared to recondition yours. $1200 seems like a lot! Check out RockAuto parts in the USA, even with shipping, a brand new one will be a lot cheaper than that! Delivery is usually about a week.

thebluboy, Dec 12, 12:44pm
Thanks, where do I find spare parts section? Or could you give me auction number.

xs1100, Dec 12, 6:10pm
ring BNT they will be a lot cheaper

intrade, Dec 12, 9:16pm
2009 possibly it is a smart alternator find out?
means its turning it self off when the battery is 85% full and only charges when you go down hill if it can etc ?
i told you 2005 onwards toyota will crap it self just like holden-gm or anything else and cost a fortune when electronics components fail.
worst case is the alternator needs programming in to the system.
or its not the alternator at all but the smart controller module or just a simple wire after they swapped 8000$ worth of parts at your expense.
So be sure first and find all these things out

greeny, Dec 12, 9:31pm
Was once quoted 3000 for a new one for a 2000 Maxima a 3rd party one was 800 fitted

supernova2, Dec 12, 9:55pm
$746.99 @ dasko

bigfatmat1, Dec 12, 11:32pm
Pretty common failure. You can recon them. Or buy aftermarket I would say half that price take it to a auto sparky. It doesn't need programming. Yes it is controlled by ecu but neither of those are a concern for you.

shaun16, Dec 12, 11:42pm
6 years doesn't seem that long for an alternator to last? I take it as "pretty common failure" means they're a known weak point on those?

bigfatmat1, Dec 13, 12:32am
I wouldn't say a week point. But 6 years can equate to a lot of ks most hilux alternators that I see fail are in excess of 200,000km the alternators are made by denso. Which are also used on honda and share internal parts

intrade, Dec 13, 12:47am
http://www.baxters.com.au/alternator-denso-12v-80amp-hilux-2-7-2tr-fe.html
here is something written about waight reduction

poppy62, Dec 13, 1:21am
Bought a 2nd hand one (wrecking yard) for my diesel ute $45.00 5 years ago still going well. Got 2nd hand Fiat one from wreckers $50.00 8 years ago still working well. New or recond one now will be next weeks 2nd hand one.

thebluboy, Dec 14, 5:29am
Thanks for your help everyone. Going to get it rebuilt I think.

lk104, Jun 16, 6:13pm
$830 for a Genuine Toyota Alternator.