Urgent Brake help

Page 2 / 2
sr2, Nov 14, 7:57am
No mate I missed it, (al-Simon's disease again - ask Mrs sr2!). I'd still not get too paranoid re driving it with some caution.

It's hard giving blind advice on a MB, so much easier when you've got the apprentice/pupil in front of you.

Using an impact driver to remove a caliper is an unusual approach?
Did the OP know how to take up the slack before using the driver?
Has the OP access to a 3/8 or 1/2 inch 8mm allen socket?. etc.

(Gawd, I'm starting to sound like my Father!)

snoopy221, Nov 14, 8:05am
Meh sr2-my initial reaction was also-W T F? impact driver pads?
mmmmmmmmdamn ole virgin Mrs Phillips a tad rusted and retaining the disc-lol refer#3.
som1's gotz da nouse-lol

kazbanz, Nov 14, 8:12am
arrrg all this too and fro and I coulda ridden uop there smacked it open and ridden home

digger02, Nov 14, 8:15am
The disc is held on to the hub with two bolts/screws with a countersunk PH3 head that requires an impact driver to remove. Will be making a trip to hardware shop in morning to pick up replacement bit/s and try again. Thanks for all the help and info.

aj.2., Nov 14, 8:18am
OP, made the mistake of trying to get movement by Tightening the bolt.
And in so doing caused a over load on the gear that he was using as no way was it going to move, as it would have been shouldered up hard.
Only way to get a bit of Stretch is down the screw or bolt , and thats by using a punch on the end, there by along the length of said bit.
Also works on rusted nuts, Just use a piece of pipe, over the thread onto the nut, give a good smack, then undo it.

cabrio1, Nov 14, 8:23am
Partly correct.
Using a punch isn't the "only"way of removing it.
There is a better way. Use the correct tool as previously stated.

snoopy221, Nov 14, 8:31am
Friday the Thirteenth roll call
**Who can screw the best**
L O L
CENTRE PUNCH AND HAMMER AND ROTATE YA HOUER-LOL

aj.2., Nov 14, 8:31am
Not going to argue , but he did the first side OK, then on second side could not move the screw / bolt.
So he went into tighten mode, to get movement. Broke the tool. because as I have pointed out he would not get any movement only shearing of metal.
Now he has to buy a new bit for impact hammer, and yes they are great tools, I use one here.
But will say again , some times if you Bounce the bolt/ screw or nut, you will find that they will move a lot easier that just BASHING hell out of the Impact hammer, and twisting gear apart.

digger02, Nov 14, 8:40am
Live and learn I guess. I'm unsure what you mean by 'Bounce' the screw/bolt. The offending threaded fastener is screwed into the wheel hub and holds the disc to the hub, there is no thread or nut present.

sr2, Nov 14, 8:40am
LOL, I've been doing it for so long Snoops me old mate that all I have to do is just look at a broken stud or stuck bolt and it will undo itself without me even touching it!

aj.2., Nov 14, 8:40am
OP, You are lucky ?, that you did not wind the head off the bolt / screw, then you really would have a problem , in that you would need to Drill out the broken bolt, not a nice job. And you need to Dead center , of what you are drilling.
You need care doing that and the right size drill bits, and a good drill.
Any way OP, best of , for Tomorrow.

aj.2., Nov 14, 8:48am
Like you would Drive in a nail, But you want to undo it.
Just use a punch or even a bolt the right size , Hold it onto the head , then hit it.
This sends a shock wave down the bolt/screw, and can settle the threads.
It works by just moving the threads off each other, there by getting a bit of movement , before you try to unscrew it.
Also at a GUESS you did the right hand side first.
The left hand side is worse , from what I have seen over the years.

snoopy221, Nov 14, 8:50am
Meh play wiff m/bikes and ya learn my ole famous impact driver has had a major spring reset it nails em and unloads em-and ole *Brutus force* operator gets the gravy stroke-L O L
Last one i did was a motorbike(Torx) and yip they had broken the torx tip off in zee bolt-
Centre punch.
Hammer.
Rotate ya houer.

aj.2., Nov 14, 8:53am
That works if you have room from the side, But OP will have a bolt broken off where he can not get onto it with a punch side on.

snoopy221, Nov 14, 8:54am
What is refered to therin is an isometric screw thread profile that can be unloaded by shocking-as in an end load directly on the head-that unloads the isometric(tapered) thread-
Hence why vices-etc use a sguare thread that doesn't load and bind

Kapeesh?

snoopy221, Nov 14, 8:57am
That works if you have room from the side, But OP will have a bolt broken off where he can not get onto it with a punch side on.

aj.2. (13 13 positive feedback) 9:53 pm, Fri 13 Nov #39

mmm tis only a tapered head screw-remove head and remove disc and extricate threaded bit lef if required. L O L

aj.2., Nov 14, 8:58am
I had to come back to this post.
Like you , say , And it would be off , the new one on and the car being Driven .
Again OP, good luck there.
Make sure to put just a small amount of grease on the bolts as you put them back in.

digger02, Nov 14, 8:59am
Thanks aj, yes you are correct I did the right (drivers) side first. I think I understand what you are saying, hitting the end of the problem bolt/screw without any rotational force straight on and basically doing the impact drivers job without putting stress on a driver bit. Makes sense to me, thanks a lot, hoping tomorrow is more successful.

aj.2., Nov 14, 9:03am
You are onto it.
Cheers , best of,

kazbanz, Nov 14, 7:49pm
Hey digger-left side isn't reverse thread is it?

aj.2., Nov 14, 11:19pm
No its not. If by reverse thread you MEAN , Left hand thread.
Its just the same small bolts on both sides.
It's not TRUCK wheel nuts he is working on .

mecanix, Oct 15, 5:39pm
hit it with a dot punch.

easy.