Perkins 3 cylinder diesel engine.

ltz500, Dec 6, 2:30am
Hey guys. I have a perkins 3 cylinder diesel (3.152) engine that is giving me a few dramas. It has pumped oil into the radiator, and mixed water with the oil. Have removed cylinder head, cannot see any cracks, and head gasket did not appear to show any signs of having blown. Did not overheat. I was suspecting it could be a leaking oil cooler, but this engine does not appear to have one? Has anybody on here got experience with these engines? Thanks.

intrade, Dec 6, 2:36am
well first of all what is the diesel from digger marine? generator?

intrade, Dec 6, 2:45am
well lets talk about the facts you have
oil into the radiator
mixed water with the oil
its not a good idea to whip off a head without doing first a leek down test because now you cant do that no more .
so logic needs to be applyed how this cross contermination has occured.
You dont need a blowen headgasket for this to happen.
water runs thru the gasket and oil will also be pumped thru up in to the head so the first place i would inspect is where these 2 things are seperated by the gasket for both on gasket on block and on head for uneaven surface with a straight edge and for corosion on both head and block
this mixing can also occure elswhere .
Worst case would be a hairline crack somwhere

bjmh, Dec 6, 2:48am
cylinder liner seals or cracked liners

ltz500, Dec 6, 3:01am
Engine has press fit liners, so rules out the theory of liner seals. Oil supply to rocker shaft is via a external oil line, does not run through head gasket. Has me stumped.

mrcat1, Dec 6, 5:14am
Is it a Perkins Perkins or a CAT perkins?
What's it in?

pdc1, Dec 6, 5:23am
check that sleeves are still tight in block, and look at colour / carbon differences of piston tops / combustion chamber on head and see if there is any clues, again what??

tony9, Dec 6, 5:47am
Some of these have an oil to water intercooler.

At least one type circulated water through a coil in the sump.

lou64, Dec 6, 8:13am
we had 245 MF which someone didn't shim sleeves while replacing the new sleeves & pistons, water leaked into exhaust system , lucky it didn't pull a sleeve hope you cure your problem.

alfred011, Dec 7, 8:41am
On these engines the oil feed to head is external pipe from the cylinder block,they have dry liners so don't suffer from electrolysis ,I have never seen a 3-152 with an oil cooler most likely cause would have to be head gasket leaking from water jackets across to camshaft gallery.Have seen these engines cooked until the valve springs turned blue on irrigation pump ,heat seized but they never cracked the head.One of the rear head studs has a washer on it , it is the only stud with water around it .If you fit new head gasket take all the studs out and thoroughly clean top of block then refit studs make sure you refit them in correct positions as they are not all the same length 3 short 1s go on the camshaft side ,if you put long stud in there they will hit the camshaft.There also is a special way to set the tappets you put #1 piston at TDC set tappets 123 &5 then turn engine 360 degrees then set tappets 4& 6 at 012 thou inlet and exhaust.

ltz500, Dec 8, 8:39am
hi alfred. thanks for all the info, sounds like you know these engines well. My engine is an industrial version in a 400 amp lincoln arc welder. Sadly my head is stuffed as one of the exhaust valve seats is badly corroded (was still running fine though). I have found a new cylinder head online, to suit a agricultural engine , but just not too sure if it will fit my industrial engine? I believe they are slightly different engines?

intrade, Dec 8, 8:42am
just get the head rebuilt with new valve seats and valves

alfred011, Dec 8, 9:36am
If it is a 3.152 they should be the same a AD3.152 is different,on the tractors ford used 3.152 in fordson dexta and MF used them in the 35D tractor only variation is ford used sims inline injector pump and MF used CAV rotary pump the sump and timing covers can be different as sump on tractor is part of the chassis and front axle housing is mounted on it.i buy my parts off Bepco ,sparex and vapormatic they have gasket sets ,valves ,heads etc.You could also try tractor wreckers for a second hand head there should be a few around .D3.152 should be indirect injection and AD3.152 is direct injection.D3.152 has flat top pistons and AD3.152 has bowl in piston with flat head surface.

alfred011, Dec 8, 9:53am
How much was the head you found ?

alfred011, Dec 8, 7:57pm
You can get a complete head with valves ready to bolt on for 500 +gst and freight gasket set 60 + gst

bwg11, Dec 8, 11:30pm
Just FYI. This manual may be useful to you. It distinguishes between the variants of the 3 cylinder Perkins.

http://vieux.tracteurs.free.fr/pdf/PERKINS_3152_ENGINE_MANUAL.pdf

ltz500, Dec 9, 7:07am
hey would just like to say a big thanks again for your help. yeah mine appears to be direct injection, has no precom chambers and has a bowl in pistons,runs the cav pump. found a bare head for $600 on here a few months back. $500 for a complete head sounds better though! is that price from sparex? I think by the time i had the old one repaired it would just be easier to bolt a brand new one on.

ltz500, Dec 9, 7:09am
and thanks for the link to the manual. going to print it off right now :)

alfred011, Dec 9, 8:17am
That one is for the indirect injection engine the other 1 might be cheaper.

alfred011, Dec 9, 7:39pm
Same price for the direct injection head complete,gasket set $55 ,they only have got 1 head in stock .

ltz500, Dec 10, 5:44am
awesome. whos selling that? sparex?

alfred011, Jul 6, 11:38am
I can supply it from a trade contact.price is plus gst and freight it is down the south island