Restricted license advice?

Page 2 / 2
saxman99, Jul 17, 9:03am
Maximum speed for passing a bus designated "School" which has stopped or is stopping to let children on or off is 20km/h either side of the road.

vicvic, Jul 17, 11:11am
obviously I'm not always under the limit but most of the time everyone's overtaking me for doing so.

Didn't know about the 20km limit for school buses, although school's off at the moment so that shouldn't come up tomorrow.

martin11, Jul 17, 8:07pm
Careful schools do do trips in the holidays so the bus still runs and can park outside schools or drop off points , one chap in Bishopdale found out and he failed .
Good luck for today

kecal, Jul 17, 8:11pm
yep 20 km for school bus speed just done the test yesterday for learners bike and that was a question.

petal_91, Jul 17, 8:50pm
I think the 20lm/h limit passing school buses is too easy to abuse. I reckon vechicles should come to a complete stop likey the do in the US. Also school buses could have traffic light type signals and flip out stop signs like US buses.

martin11, Jul 17, 8:54pm
Some of the newer buses on the road have a new sign that flashes when the bus is stopped and doors opened . same signs are now appearing in school zones .

kazbanz, Jul 17, 9:35pm
Vic vic-my advice is to exaggerate the head movements you make when checking. You want the tester to SEE you are making the checks.

henderson_guy, Jul 18, 12:23am
Mate, it seems that most cops don't even know about the 20km limit. I think you need to look at your attitude, cause it stinks.

oldboyjohn, Jul 18, 2:20am
As above, don't do what the cops do, you'll fail for sure!
Apparently they haven't heard of indicators, how to indicate at roundabouts. I'd better stop, haven't got all day!

vicvic, Jul 18, 5:41am
I didn't think to exaggerate my head movements, but I think it's fairly obvious enough as I turn a bit past 90 degrees.

As for my test, it was very exacting and lasted the full 45 mins, tested me on everything. I made one mistake which was not coming to a complete halt on 1 stop sign but I honestly missed that, he told me as soon as I made the mistake to prevent me from failing if I did it again. I stopped 3 seconds at all stop signs before and after though. Very thorough test, a lot more than I was expecting but I'd done my homework so it was all common sense. It didn't sink in until I peeled off the L plates. then it was a done deal!

henderson_guy, Jul 18, 5:49am
Congrats! Be safe out there. as any truckie will tell you, there's a lot of muppets on our roads.

cagivachick1, Jul 18, 6:33am
well done. a while back in dunedin a driving tester failed the driver for something he did wrong so the driver ordered the tester out of the car, when he didnt get out the driver punched him. obviously not a good thing. however if it was the tester who did my sons he had a bit of a rep for failing people and lots of people wanted to punch him

cagivachick1, Jul 18, 6:36am
just to show what a pedantic tosser the tester was he was going to fail one of my sons doing his motorcycle restricted because the brand new WOF sticker had been put in the holder upside down by the bike shop

vicvic, Jul 18, 11:12pm
I'm sure you can dispute the marking if you believe it was unfair, it says that on the back of the form. A friend of a friend failed for indicating left while exiting a roundabout going straight but that's correct, so I guess they can make mistakes.

I've seen my fair share, hard to predict some people. I'm surprised with all the nutters on the road we don't have to renew our licenses every few years unlike our passports.

oldboyjohn, Jul 19, 5:40am
You are supposed to indicate (left) when you exit, going straight or not. Going right at roundabout indicate right and then left as you exit.
Roundabouts are designed to help traffic flow. It can't do that if someone is waiting for you not knowing if you are exiting or not. How many times have you said 'I could have gone if I knew he was turning left'

2sheddies, Jul 19, 6:52am
Ah. but do we know they're turning for sure? I never fully trust their blinkers. Half the time they'll be sailing merrily along with them flashing unknowingly, and no intention of turning anywhere. Or they switch them on a kilometre before the actual street they intend to turn into, so you wonder, 'are you turning down that road there or the next one along?

daryl14, Jan 24, 4:32pm
Another little gem they throw in is driving to the end of a cul de sac you should indicate right as you turn around at the end.