Restricted license advice?

Page 1 / 2
vicvic, Jul 16, 12:18pm
I've been driving 1.5 years on my learners, got my test on Friday, I think I'm pretty much set. I only just realised my wof expired a few days ago so I'll get that sorted tomorrow, would've failed if I turned up like this. Any last minute advice or things I should be aware of?

lugee, Jul 16, 1:11pm
Car interior spick and span

saxman99, Jul 16, 7:42pm
Check your mirrors and do your head checks plenty. Indicate properly. Don't speed at all. Complete stop at stop signs. Give Way correctly. Keep calm and be assured and confident. Don't crash.
Good luck!

skull, Jul 16, 8:29pm
If you are starting off from within a mall carpark don't forget the speed limit within the carpark is 20km/h.

johotech, Jul 16, 8:46pm
The instructor may take you to a small side street with no center line, make sure you keep left of the center, particularly when preparing to turn out of the street.

martin11, Jul 16, 8:49pm
Check your reg is current and all of your lights work and tyres have good tread .

piperguy, Jul 16, 8:51pm
I was told years ago if people on learners licenses turn up for their restricted without a licensed driver with them and they get spotted it's a fail. I assume you have been driving legally for this past 1.5 years with a licensed driver in the car at all times?

bjmh, Jul 16, 8:58pm
Make sure instructor puts his/her seatbelt on before you move. as stated make sure car is presentable and legal. don't be shy to identify hazards . i.e talk to the instructor . you are in charge of your motor vehicle. he isn't. don't be cocky/but don't be overawed by the situation.Don't mumble,which is pretty hard for most kiwi kids not to do. good luck.

martin11, Jul 16, 10:01pm
On a test the Tester is the supervisor and he is responsible for the candidate and his standard of driving he is in charge .

martin11, Jul 16, 10:02pm
The tester is not a policeman and has no powers to do this . Another false rumour .

lugee, Jul 16, 10:13pm
Uh, the tester absolutely has powers to fail you in THEIR test. Driving to the test centre without a supervisor is breaking the law, just as failing to stop during the test is.

Now whether they do it. I'm sure that when I did my test years ago, the road code said a learner driver MUST be accompanied to the testing centre by a supervisor, and if one fails, leave with them too.

martin11, Jul 16, 10:34pm
The test does not start until the candidate actually is introduced tester ,and yes they should come to the test with a supervisor and leave if they fail with one but the tester cannot do anything if they do not .

gedo1, Jul 16, 11:07pm
If the "learner" driver is observed arriving and driving without a supervisor for the test it will be an automatic fail.

martin11, Jul 16, 11:10pm
Rubbish it is not the tester cannot do that they do not have the power .

petal_91, Jul 16, 11:14pm
Actually turn your head to check your blindspot when changing lanes. Relying on mirrors and your car's blindspot sensors won't do for the test.

sr2, Jul 16, 11:15pm
You are allowed to have a support person in the car during the test, often helps to calm the nerves if you have mum, dad or your usual supervisor along for the ride.

oldboyjohn, Jul 17, 2:02am
Having tested for a number of years, I think most of the comments are relevant.
However a tester cannot fail you for turning up without as supervisor as it is not part of the test.
He can however make a note on the test sheet to that effect and if you fail for other things it is a nail in the coffin so to speak.
Depending on the test site a tester often doesn't see the car arrive, so if your supervisor goes shopping how can they check?
Having said that, the law says you need one, so I am not suggesting you don't take one. If I failed anyone I always tried to explain to the supervisor as well as the applicant.
Take saxman's advice and you should be fine. Check all stoplights, including the high stop.Don't arrive late, there is only 5minutes leeway.
Good Luck

melonhead1, Jul 17, 2:05am
The tester asked me to show him how to turn on the front and rear demisters on the full test. It threw me briefly which is tough when you're already as nervous as hell.
They might pull that on you for a restricted test too.

bjmh, Jul 17, 2:06am
anyway OP let all us sidewalk experts know how you get on.

oldboyjohn, Jul 17, 2:08am
The tester can ask you to demonstrate how to operate any of the controls.
Have been on a test prior to the new rules, in the rain where, the car misted up so badly there was no visibility and the applicant had no idea how to clear it.
Can that be safe? Don't think so. Hence the tester is only checking that you can operate your vehicle in a safe manner.

oldboyjohn, Jul 17, 2:21am
A couple more things to remember;-
Observe speed at roadworks and passing School Buses. (Remember that although most don't realise it, you are passing a school bus even if it is on the other side of the road)
Make sure you bring your license to the test.
If you are in a diesel, make sure the RUC is up to date.

petal_91, Jul 17, 3:07am
Make sure your car has enough fuel to complete the test. It is a fairly long test of 45 mins or so as I recall and having to stop for gas would not look good.

martin11, Jul 17, 3:27am
That would be the test over ! Fail !

vicvic, Jul 17, 8:42am
Thanks for the replies, all good advice! The WOF today pointed out that one of my water sprays weren't working. I looked under the bonnet and saw the hose was loose. I think they'd probably fail me for that if I didn't check!

1. I'm aware of turning up unaccompanied, I'll be going with my mum. Regardless of whether or not they can fail you for it, it wouldn't be a good look and it speaks volumes about your attitude.
2. I haven't used the demister much so I'll make sure I know tomorrow morning, thanks!
3. I'm used to my shoulder checks now.
4. I won't be speeding, it seems I'm usually the only person on the road under the speed limit these days.

Oldboyjohn, what do you mean passing a school bus on the other side of the road? As long as I'm under the speed limit isn't that enough?

petal_91, Jul 17, 8:52am
Your comment in number 4 about you being the only one under the speed limit seems unlikely. At some stage after the test I would suggest you check your actual speed vs what is indicated with a GPS unit. The wrong size mag and tyre combo, or tyres inflated to the wrong pressure could make for a speedo that reads incorrectly.