04 Nissan Tiida Fault Code?

jinx317, May 6, 8:40am
Has any one heard of a fault code stored in the ECU relating to "Engine overheat" bit of a long story but a workshop has said that they found this code (No P? ) before carrying out head gasket job, doesn't sound right to me.

franc123, May 6, 8:56am
It sounds perfectly right to me, your head gasket didn't blow for no reason. Its been overheated.

jinx317, May 6, 9:59am
Hmmm. thanks for not answering the question, not my car. But I have been in the industry for a number of years & not seen a fault code to say that the engine has been overheated before.
Was hoping someone could say yay or nae.
Not looking for opinions on what happened, thanks anyway.

thejazzpianoma, May 6, 10:07am
Can't say I have ever seen one come up, but there is an engine overheat Powertrain code. I think it may be more for cars that only have the warning light as opposed to a temp gauge.
I can look it up if you really want, it's an 02 something or other I think, maybe 0271?

thejazzpianoma, May 6, 10:09am
Here you go, looks like Nissan have a manufacturer specific one as well.

http://nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p1217_nissan.html

I would say the generic one is p0217 so I wasn't far off!

Did they say it was a code without a number or something? Not quite sure what you mean by P?

franc123, May 6, 10:19am
Overheat codes have been commonplace since the late 90's, a fair chunk of OBD2 equipped vehicles have them and they don't log for no reason, its clear that the coolant temp sensor or cylinder head temp sensor if that applies witnessed an out of parameter thermal event. The question was answered, not my fault you didn't like what came back.

jinx317, May 6, 10:20am
P=Powertrain
? =Number of fault code
Looks like a real thing! oh well thats good to know.
Thanks for that.

franc123, May 6, 10:21am
P means Powertrain, its simply a code prefix.

jinx317, May 6, 10:34am
Ok, overheat codes have not been commonplace on the vehicles i'm used to working on, wish i knew it all like you obviously do! well done!

You might want to check your initial reply as it relates in no way to engine fault codes or the question asked.

Thanks for nothing!

mechnificent, May 6, 7:06pm
Live and learn Jinx. Getting bitter at people in here will really put the jinx on you.

As Frank says, those codes have been around for years.

intrade, May 6, 10:00pm
There is no code for a head gasket .blowen
Because codes are not what part is broken on a car i said that now about 100 times on this forum .
its the same as vtnz telling you the wof is all the servicing your car will ever need. its both 100% wrong

intrade, May 6, 10:19pm
nissan are one of the most difficult cars to deal with codes and you need a nissan oem capable scanner to get true codes.
Like my idiag launch is fully oem capable and it dont produces wrong P codes . i will be making a review youtube video of it soon showing you what it pulls with the oem software out of my 95 corolla

Now let me ask you the real diagnosis question because headgasket checking is a swapron diagnosis .
Is the car still running? is the car smoking white out the exhaust, is the coolant level dropping in the cooling system, is
to detect cumbustion gas in the water you need to have a HC hidro carbon sniffer emission tester hovering the sonde in the water bowl. or a chemical detection test.
This is how you check for a blowen head gasket.
and not some codes ! that are symptoms i will once again explain in the next post why codes are symptoms

intrade, May 6, 10:37pm
now to codes a code is think of it the engine control module has wires going to the components on a car. and no wire go to a head gasket trust me they dont on a tina nissan!
now the engine computer is a computer it can only process 1 or 0 yes or no , i did already learn this programming on my 1982 computer that is what i could understand and thats all you will need to know
the component is even dumber it has a box and in this box is voltage 0 to 5 volt on a nissan tina i guarantee you that is what it is , the box is not real just for you to undertand how codes work.
this component all it can do is shift the voltage lets take the engine coolant temp sender , as that would be what could set your apperant head gasket blow code that dont even can exist.
this is also just for you to understand how it works for the purpose of explaining
the temperature range is 1volt is 120° celcius and 4.5 volt is 20° celcius that is inside the box
the car runs and the sensor gets warm and resists the voltage flowing thru it telling the engine computer a different voltage reading
99° celcius is what most modern cars run there engine coolant water now.
so now you have a rat chew on your wiring and the wire is corroded with green crude like them leaking batterys you have sure seen whom make tois not go no more
this green crud makes artaficial extra resistence and the voltage moves outside the box the engine now gets half a volt . how hot do you think the engine computer thinks the engine is right now?

kazbanz, May 6, 10:37pm
hey jinx--im sorry but to me francs reply was christal clear.-
the head gasket was blown,Head gaskets blow for a reason-most common being overheat. Therefore logically overheat fault code came on.
In simple terms it was likely tripped by the information that put the red light on.

intrade, May 6, 10:41pm
and this is where it sets your overheat code because it moved outside its box of controlling and it cant bring it within this box of controll no more so a hard code is set and check engine light is turned on
Now everyone should understand that codes are to be treated as symptoms and further investigating is required it is never ever ever to be seen as what part to exchange.

intrade, May 6, 10:45pm
of course if you cook the engine it will also got to 130+ and go outide the controll and set the same code but the code is a symptom not the cause
you dont go find a code and ah yea we need to change the head gasket when the green crud has set this code

mechnificent, May 7, 1:28am
They set the overheat codes for several reasons, and there are several parameters getting compared for both their individual readings, and how they interact. that is how they deduce an overheating has occurred.

mechnificent, May 7, 1:30am
If a rat eats the temp sensor wire as Intrade suggests, then the sensor reading gets out of parameter, and a sensor code gets set, not an overheating code.

intrade, May 7, 2:22am
http://www.trouble-codes.com/
This site i just found tells it all over just like i wrote if you dont compreaheand what i wrote.

Powertrain ("P") codes (engine, transmission and emissions systems
i also told this one more then once on here

Caution: Disconnecting the battery to clear codes on many 2006 and newer vehicles is NOT a good idea because it may cause the PCM to forget critical settings. This may have an adverse effect on the operation of the transmission, climate control system and other functions. This, in turn, may require special "relearn" procedures using a factory scan tool or professional grade scan tool to restore proper operation of the affected systems.

Loosing transmission adaption is how new toyotas destroy there automatic transmission. faulty battery during start voltage drop whipes these adaptions and the transmission goes to default whacking gears in as harsh as it can untill it relearns not to do this, the destroyed transmission gets rebuilt fitted and destroyed again untill the cause of the symptom is fixed = the slightly faulty starter battery. and ah yea there is no code for this also.

jinx317, May 7, 7:54am
Freakinheck.
Just a simple question about a fault code, That's all I wanted an answer too.
Got that so happy now.
Don't need conjecture about why/when or how.
I didn't like the condisending tone of the reply of one poster so let him know.
MKR is on now, much more exciting than this!
Enjoy your night.

intrade, Feb 10, 10:07am
yea well its much more complex and people who dont get this should seriously take some courses with aecs.net this is not intended to be a comercial posting aecs is the only aftermarket diagnostic place in nz i have found the courses are better then bosch oem classes that i have also attended.