Registration lapsed :(

Page 1 / 2
moviemakerguy, Jul 2, 8:14am
HI guys,

Just before i went overseas my car got stolen. after i got back from overseas it was found and i spend a lot of time saving up money to fix the damage that the thieves did. HOwever the car was off the road for over a year and the registration lapsed (i wasn't aware that it could lapse :( )

The car is a 1999 lancer and apparently i need to go through a compliance check in order to get it registered again. What things do they check in a compliance check? WIll it pass compliance if the car is older that 6 years?

trogedon, Jul 2, 8:28am
Its like a very tough WOF.

2sheddies, Jul 2, 10:42am
It can be done but as said, a very tough and rigorous and costly inspection and re registration process. I believe it's much tougher on any vehicle post 1991 or thereabouts. I heard they basically pull the car to pieces almost literally in search of structural damage etc. Not to decry your car in any way but in my humble opinion, unless it was super tidy and had reasonably low kms, I wonder about the economics. you need to decide if it's worth the possible dramas and definite expenses of recertification. By the time you get to the end of the process with a much lighter wallet, a few more grey hairs, and a car that's still only worth a few grand at best, you could well be wishing you just bought a replacement instead.

Hopefully other posters will have better info for you re exact costs etc if you decide to go ahead with it. Or if you ring VTNZ or VINZ etc, they'll likely go through the process with you.

supernova2, Jul 2, 10:54am
Just a rough guess but Im thinking you could be spending up to $3000 to get the recompliance, however if its a minter then you might get away with $1000.

Only you can decide if the car is worth spending that sort of money.

r.g.nixon, Jul 2, 11:10am
Just keep driving it - the fine is cheaper. Keep the wof's up though.

buyit59, Jul 2, 11:33am
If its not registered then you cannot get a wof. Call a compliance place for info on recompliance. it can be done .

r.g.nixon, Jul 2, 8:06pm
No, it is the other way around. If it doesn't have a wof, you can't register it.

bjmh, Jul 2, 8:31pm
search the previous threads. this has been a regular topic. I did a commodore ute recently and it cost about $1000. but rego for your lancer will be cheaper. as stated its probably not worth doing.

bitsy_boffin, Jul 3, 1:40am
You are confusing REGISTRATION, the thing you do once when a vehicle is "put on the road" and get your REGISTRATION plates, and LICENCING the thing you do periodically to keep it "on the road" and get your LICENCE label.

The bit of paper in your window is a LICENCE label, not a REGISTRATION label.

You can't LICENCE a vehicle unless it has a WOF (excepting trailers and scooters), you can't WoF a vehicle unless it has a REGISTRATION.

If you don't LICENCE a vehicle (or put on hold) for 12 months your REGISTRATION expires and your plates are no longer alive.

The OP's REGISTRATION has lapsed (they didn't put the LICENCE on hold), the plates are dead.

elect70, Jul 3, 2:18am
Got this from testing station - book it in for re vin /WOF just more thorough check but not as hard as compliance no dismantling , removal of panels costs around $350 including years rego . This was for my 1989 range rover V8 petrol no ABS no air bags rego expired 5 years ago .

trogedon, Jul 3, 3:58am
One I did some years ago wasn't particularly expensive but I did have to have the brake discs replaced - needlessly.

petermcg, Jul 3, 4:32am
Send a letter to this address and explain everything you can about what actually occured, it was not your fault that the rego lapsed, and they will reinstate it for you for free.
Info@nzta.govt.nz

sandypheet, Jul 3, 4:32am
Wrong. It has to be approved for registration (MR2A) then a wof is issued.

r.g.nixon, Jul 3, 5:22am
Ok, I meant if it doesn't have a wof, you can't relicense it.
You can get a wof if your license is 'on hold'.

nzdoug, Jul 3, 7:47am
I have the same problem and my 93 ford courier ute goes in to vtnz tommorow 8 am .
Cost quoted $500 +plates+new rego.

holdensorfords, Jul 4, 5:22am
Had mine done at VINZ. $400.00 for Compliance. Application for Reg (MR2A) $471.50. No panels taken off. Drove out all legal.

differentthings, Jul 4, 5:27am
yea right

nzdoug, Jul 4, 7:11am
last week.
Pay Dun Bradstreet $473 to clear rego to apr 2015.
8amToday $500 for revin upfront
4pm new plates, new rego, +5k.ruc. for yr starting today over $700.
To pissed to look.
Thanks
ltsa
Ps where it was checked today is where it has had its wofs done , every 6 mo.x3

jamie2016, Jul 5, 10:25am
did dun and bradstreet send you a reminder letter every single day? as i forgot to place a vehicle licence on hold before it was sold and they are saying i owe them about $150.00 and if i dont pay it within 72hrs they will whack a collection fee on that amount so i rang them and those A**holes hung up on me saying ''call back only when i got the full amount to pay them''

moviemakerguy, Jul 11, 11:13am
Don't they eventually impound your car though? or take away your license? :)

moviemakerguy, Jul 11, 11:14am
Tried but they havent replied :(

petermcg, Jul 12, 12:27am
It might take some time for a reply, and also a phone call sometimes works, it can just depend on who you get to deal with sometimes.

elect70, Jul 12, 2:33am
Go to testing station & get the info from the horses mouth instead of sending letters which go into file 13 . as i said just stricter WOF & 1 year rego & new plates . My RR was expired for 5 years .

dasfi, Jul 13, 10:25am
Want to sell it as is?

jason_247, Jul 14, 4:45am
HAHA yea right.
explained to them that my car was deregistered by mistake as the vtnz lady had typed in a number plate wrong somewhere else in the country and dereg the wrong car.

their response was tough luck and talk to vtnz
VTNZ were better and payed the fee etc for reregistering it but i still had to bring the vehicle up to their tougher standards.

all in all a waste of time and money becuase ltsa are C**TS