Whirring noise Mini Cooper S 2007

axekiller, May 3, 4:35am
When my Mini is cold and i start it up there is a whirring noise for a short time. It goes away but sometimes takes a little while to stop. When the car is warm it is ok. I thought it might be a problem with the Timing chain and guides but a mechanic had a look and said it was not. Any recommendations for workshops that are great with minis?

bwg11, May 3, 5:32am
Only guessing, bur I think a 2007 will be the first of the turbo S's. Could the turbo be getting tired? How many kms? Alternatively, the alternator bearings could be on the` way out and are noisy when the alternator is charging at maximum output to bring the battery back up after a cold start.

axekiller, May 3, 5:46am
Yup. Turbo S. 62000 on the clock. Hope its not the turbo. Any idea on a Mini mechanic?

jason_247, May 3, 6:43am
http://www.hellbm.com/ or http://www.botanymotorworx.co.nz/

both very good with bmw made minis.

cammey, May 3, 6:56am
That noise will be the motor running.

Many Leyland and BMC mini owners never heard that noise more than a handful of times, and never after the warranty expired.

;-) Good luck getting to the bottom of it.

poppy62, May 3, 9:57am
I think It's the cold start assist, that helps warm the engine up faster.

brafe, May 3, 10:10am
It's buggered, get rid of it quick, I'll take it off your hands for a fiver.

happylad3, May 3, 10:24am
Do those engines have secondary air injection? It could be the air pump for that working. It only does it when cold to help lower emissions.

poppy62, May 3, 10:57am
Yes that's it, was what I was trying to say in my post, but mind was blank.

axekiller, May 3, 11:04am
I have no idea what it is. It goes from whirring right at the start to a kinda rattle until its warm. Thanks for the links to those mechanics as well.

apollo11, May 3, 12:45pm
My wife's mini has a very noticeable whine from the power steering pump when she drives off in the morning, I will ask her if the noise goes away when the car is warm.

socram, Feb 14, 3:08pm
The only issue I have had in my 2002 S was the ZF steering rack, which didn't last very long at all. I refused BMW Mini's over-priced replacement and had a steering company refurbish it instead. Good old German engineering eh! The Pom's get all the stick but isn't the Pommy stuff that causes the issues.
Get the steering checked. It may or may not be a problem.