NZ Herald re oil changes

Page 1 / 2
tgray, Mar 4, 9:00pm
The article in today online Herald says, and I quote "It is essential to use the engine oil which has been recommended for your model of vehicle".
I don't agree.

therafter1, Mar 4, 9:20pm
Agreed, they should stick to reporting the news . in a correct an unbiased manner!

intrade, Mar 4, 9:53pm
its 100% correct. wrong oil on a modern engine will destroy it over longer.
for example you use just a fraction wrong oil on one of them new bmw well not so new 2008 for example and you will have valve train noises. also aftermarket filters that are not up to standard with the engine can destroy a engine, as some have the oil pressure regulation built in to the oil filter , if you fit a filter that just seems to fit without this function you will pritty quickly nuke the engine with no oil pressure
and no toyota are not exempted from these things there is 0 tolerances for error on modern low emission vehicles anything euro 5 onwards euro 6 is even more extreem and remember no car is less then euro 4 in this country now euro 4 extreem - euro 5 more extreem and euro 6 ultra axtreem for absolut must have every component functioning 100% at all times.
I have not seen the article i could tell you if they made a error and why or if it was all factual correct but what you quoted from it is absolute correct for new cars.

bill-robinson, Mar 4, 10:05pm
never seen a filter with the oil pressure relief valve built in, a lot have a bypass valve which opens when the filter is blocked. is that what you mean? which car makers make thier own filters? or are the built to spec by filter makers who then also sell them as suitable for use

tweake, Mar 4, 10:11pm
its a badly written article but its roughly right about the "grade".
manufactures have a temperature vers viscosity chart. so their recommendation is to match the oil to the temp range you drive in.

they make no mention that the oil spec (eg api rating) needs to be correct for the vehicle and that old specs are superseded by new ones.

intrade, Mar 4, 10:12pm
bill-robinson neither have i but you can be sure my information is correct it comes from professional training out of the usa i get a lot of info from there and most is just confirming what i did learn from professional training here england and germany , if its professional then they all will say the same thing and they do, So i trust that information was correct from the tutor of a automotive ASE level training.

tgray, Mar 4, 11:04pm
I guess my point is it is not essential to only use the manufacturers recommended oil if you are driving a 15 year old pulsar or similar.
I nice quality oil would always be preferred but there are many oil types that would be suitable.

tamarillo, Mar 4, 11:23pm
Thetes something in this even with older bmw. My 89 model had something built in to genuine filter that bypassed it on start up to get oil moving real quick up to head (I don't understand technicalities of it).
On getting a aftermarket filter from repco once, I could tell that there was more noise for longer on start up. It alerted me to check so I looked at old filter and saw a hole and some kind of valve in it, went to repco to look at new one and it wasn't there. They said you don't need that and aftermarket ones don't bother. So I took the thing out immediately and put a bmw one in and it was better immediately.
Bmw wouldn't have made them, but they were to their spec, I've nver known what it was all about but this thread reminded me of that.

bill-robinson, Mar 4, 11:40pm
I would like to know which car makers are using oil pressure relief valves incorporated into the oil filter. this is purely so I can avoid those makes when looking for my next car. so a name would be useful please?

bwg11, Mar 4, 11:45pm
Anti-drainback valve? Quite important with 1KZ-TE Toyotas and probably others.

tweake, Mar 4, 11:53pm
depends on what you mean.
there is no "recommended oil" as such. thats just advertising to sell what ever brand the dealership deals with.
there is many more oil types (spec) but they are generally overkill for an older car. you can go above the spec in most cases, tho it costs more for no gain, but you can't go below that spec.
engine will require certain additives that may not be present in older spec oils.
some manufactures even have warnings that you can't use certain spec oils. eg nissan zd30
a lot of older vehicles the oil spec dosn't exist any more as it has been superseded many years ago. so you can't use "manufacturers recommended oil" as its no longer made.

elect70, Mar 5, 2:33am
its just that the manufacturer gets kick back from oil company for specifying their products same as how they put their stickers on petrol flap . remember those Wyns warranties , you had to stick their crap in to every recepticle on the car every 5000K or voided the warranty .

bigfatmat1, Mar 5, 3:01am
My car manual recommends 0/20. Like I am going to put that in. On the other hand if you have a doc & or dpf then correct oil is important

tweake, Mar 5, 3:38am
why not?
the oil pump and system is designed to flow that oil at your temps, putting in thicker oil reduces oil flow rate which increases wear.

bigfatmat1, Mar 5, 3:48am
No this is recommended to try and achieve manufacturer fuel usage claims. 5/30 is fine

mrfxit, Mar 5, 4:09am
The thinner oil also helps the manufacture achieve their tighter "end of life" restriction

bwg11, Mar 5, 4:21am
Apologies for being thick, but what does, "tighter end of life restrictions", mean?

tintop, Mar 5, 5:26am
This :)

twink19, Mar 5, 5:32am
article is correct some Nissans diesels will not start with the wrong oil in them

intrade, Mar 5, 5:47am
i cant tell you for sure i am not interested to write down information what vehicles they say to read the manufacturer manual but from what i recall and it was 100% one of the american car make
it was a crysler i think he said on some crysler the oil filter pressure is made inside the oil filter. etc He did not say what exact model i think but to always make sure most simple is to use a factory original filter if your unsure.

ozz1, Mar 5, 5:52am
you know what intrade means. and so does every one else. no . its not a pressure relief valve. . just leak down. so filter stays semi full over night.

intrade, Mar 5, 5:53am
could be i would need to whatch it again from what he said it was a odball way of doing it that way.

panicky, Mar 5, 6:02am
Either the filter has to have a pressure relief valve or the engine does. If you don't have one and you get a blockage in the oil system the filter will balloon round and rupture (yes I have seen it happen on a fiat motor someone fitted the wrong filter to)

motorboy2011, Mar 5, 6:23am
Clean oil of the wrong type us better than none at all

kazbanz, Mar 5, 7:01am
MMMMM--uuuummm yea better than empty of oil but wrong oil can cause a lot of trouble.