NZ Herald re oil changes

Page 2 / 2
richardmayes, Mar 5, 7:36am
If in doubt, then recommending what the maker of the car said is probably good advice.

If you know better, then you don't need to be guided by a newspaper article anyway. ?

What is the problem here?

franc123, Mar 5, 8:10am
1/ Manufacturer will recommend whoevers oil meets their specification, if they make any recommendation at all over and above a viscosity range, it does not matter who makes it, in some cases even their own branded oil will be specified or recommended. It is rare to see in a factory handbook a specific 'only use this particular oil' from an outside oil supplier but this can vary depending on what emission control gear is fitted.
2/ The don't specify any particular brand of fuel nor fit stickers to fuel flaps, service stations do that, usually only a minimum RON is specified.
3/Wynns warranties were aftermarket, nothing to do with manufacturer.
4/Manufacturers generally don't recommend the use of additives anyway! There may be additives used in transmissions and diffs to help a specific issue such as cold shift quality or LSD shudder, they are mostly friction modifiers but even then only usually in conjunction with the specified grade, not brand, of oil.

apollo77, May 15, 4:17pm
I drive a 2008 Mercedes- and use the right spec oil - but what ever I can get on special around the time- 0w-30 - Mobil 1 etc. but as far as Filters go I get all mine (oil - air- cabin ) from England- on ebay - less than a third of the price ! . Not original Merc part . but nor are any Ryco filters and any other aftermarket filter.