Hey Jazz, Passat B6 3.2

wsnownz, Aug 1, 11:00pm
What should I look out for? Nz New, service history is good.
130,000kms

wsnownz, Aug 2, 6:03am
Slightly different, I believe jazz has one of these so I'll wait for him

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 10:29am
Gidday, on earlier ones especially look for ultra smooth changing and gear selection on the DSG. Try putting it in gear from neutral and then taking off a number of times.

Ask the owner what fuel it's been running, in my opinion you don't want one that has been run on 91 or any biofuel blend.

Listen for timing chain noise, if you are in any doubt what soever as to whether the timing chain is noisy, get it put on a VCDS scanner. The scanner calculates the difference between cam and crank sensors and gives you a value for timing chain stretch. Google this and see if it is within spec.

Listen for a nice smooth idle, while there can be a number of causes of a miss at idle, this can be a sign of carboning up of the intake from poor maintenance or incorrect fuel.

Obviously too, the usual VW things to look for as well. G13 coolant (run away if it's green), regular services with the proper full synthetic oil. DSG service every 60K.

It should also have had it's haldex clutch serviced when the DSG was done. (Assuming 4motion as pretty much all 3.2's are). This is important as they were originally released as a "sealed for life" haldex but VW changed this mid stream and it's possible that some garages didn't read the update.

They have a cloth filter in the haldex on that model so not essential to change the filter, but I do. Be careful ordering the filter as there are a couple of options. Obviously use the correct fluid.

Lastly, reset the trip computer and see what economy you get on a test drive. If all is well, it should be giving you less than 8.5l/100km over a fairly free running drive with a warm engine on BP Ultimate 98. No doubt you know that you are supposed to run Ultimate 98 wherever possible, 95 in a pinch and never 91 or in my opinion biofuel blends. (I have to state "in my opinion" as in my opinion a certain biofuel peddler likes to bully posters with lawyers letters for saying anything negative about their product)

That's all that comes to mind for the moment. They are an absolutely supurb vehicle. Loads of grunt, amazing economy, comfortable, fundamentally reliable, roomy etc etc.

Just remember, early ones are a decade old now. They are also very sophisticated vehicles. So do your homework and make sure you have picked a really top example. Bring ALL maintenance up to scratch and be realistic about maintenance costs going forward. Expect the odd minor thing here and there to need attention on occasion. Usually minor niggly things crop up, not major let you down on the side of the road stuff. There are almost always cost effective solutions with those too.

Happy shopping.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 10:41am
Yip, the 3.2 and 3.6 are much the same sort of setup. The CC tends to come fully loaded with all the toys as do most 3.2 regular Passat's. Would be worth a skim OP, can't remember what was said in the thread in case I have forgotten something. Also, that was likely nzdougs thread, he has had a CC for a while and has had what I would consider a typical ownership experience, at least as of when I last hear from him. A few bits and bobs needing attention but nothing major.

wsnownz, Aug 2, 6:17pm
Cheers for that Jazz. I had a look over it yesterday. Been well serviced with history. It's a good deal so happy to get a big service done anyway. Cheers for your comments

tamarillo, Aug 2, 9:11pm
Jazz, we need to put your advice in to a blog for easy access!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 10:39pm
lol, thanks, probably a good move. I have actually been slowly working on a book, but unfortunately other projects and health/energy have been getting in the way a bit.

I am touched that you think my advice is worth referencing, thanks.

BTW. the book is a bit "different". It's part nut's and bolts on how to buy and run a very good car on a very small budget. The other part is psychology, namely understanding how our brains work with regard to financial and logical decisions, how we sabotage ourselves and how to counter that to make sound and logical decisions.

I figure each part is as important as the other, and you can't make a sound buying decision without a basic understanding of both.

wsnownz, Aug 3, 12:11am
Tamarillo I see you're from Nelson.
Don't know of anyone in Blenheim that does euro servicing.
I'd guess that there would be in Nelson though?

wsnownz, Aug 9, 9:30pm
What does a timing chain replacement cost approx jazz?

cagivachick1, Aug 10, 3:40am
will it be a well balanced book on all makes of cars or just for people buying vws? lets face it anyone buying a dub certianly needs to go in with all the correct information

kazbanz, Aug 10, 4:08am
have a look at this first
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b6-discussion/ This is a forum just to discuss VW Passat Below is a recent website started by disgruntled Passat owners. http://www.corroding-volkswagens.com/rustys-wall-of-shame/ This will add some usefull links
http://www.rustingvolkswagen.co.uk/index.html

ema1, Aug 10, 5:21am
Very informative and thanks kaz, I suspected all this for some time.
Artful dodgers would seem to be VW policy. Germans getting payback at the allied nations for losing WW1 & WW2 one would wonder.
I'm not sold on them,never have been. never will I ever be.
German no nonsense quality engineering has been replaced by naff modern suspect stuff that was mean't to be "cutting edge" but in fact is more like "blunt edge" after relatively short periods of time.
Anything outside of those so called short periods of time-warranty, they don't want to know and wipe their hands of. period.
I'm amazed at all the comparatively recent modern Euro stuff in breakers yards in the likes of those shown on the "Car Strippers" program on TV.

tamarillo, Oct 25, 2:14am
In Nelson we have the audidoctor. He's Hungarian mechanic who loves VW stuff. Wrecks old ones for parts too.
Normal rates, has the scanner, knows the usual faults so finds things quickly.
Took an old Fairmont to him and he didn't want to work on it!