Car door locks

serf407, Jul 5, 3:42am
Is there any simple way to have car door locks so only the driver's door opens on a remote? (I'm only going on what 10 year old cars that I know operate.) Would a modification of the child lock system or something work? or a remote drivers door window lower (Nascar/ stock car driver entry)
If you were trying to leave a situation in a hurry it seems not so good idea to open the passenger doors, if you only need to open the drivers door.

gunhand, Jul 5, 3:51am
some cars already do this via programmable remote. Open one or open all, you choose.

grangies, Jul 5, 3:52am
If you want a remote system that offers you the choice of opening all doors or just the drivers door then it will be more complicated. But hey. It will be achievable.

The cheapest option would be to have the remote or key only ever opens the drivers door, buy disconnecting your central locking in all the other doors LOL

lookoutas, Jul 5, 4:08am
Late model Mustangs do this. One click unlocks drivers door, but needs two clicks to unlock passengers door.
Pain in the arse if ya ask me.
But I can see the merits re anti hi-jacking, which is why they have an illuminated boot/trunk release handle on the inside of the trunk, to allow for an escape if some bad-arse locks you in there. A bit like doors that lock at about 5 kph.

Smells of some dodgey's going on.

stevo2, Jul 5, 4:51am
Mrs Stevo bought a new Suzuki S-Cross Ltd last weekend and it has this feature by default. It has keyless entry and push button starting, the remote stays in your pocket. Touch the door handle once and the drivers door unlocks, touch it twice and all doors unlock.
It can be changed by going into "settings" on the cars LCD screen but she likes it as it is.

tool_shop173, Jul 5, 11:33am
so has the holden VF series.

gmphil, Mar 21, 9:17am
my old vs commy has this