1st world problem - car purchase dilema

pnp, May 25, 10:11am
Evening all - Hey I'm in the market for a new car & quite like the Mazda Atenza Hatchback as they seem to tick all my boxes. Based on current listings my budget seems to stretch to a 2006/07 with 50ish k's or a 2008 with 130-140 k's. 2008 model was the release of the 2nd generation ie newer model. So. Better to have the older model with considerably lower k's or. the newer mod with over twice the milage for the same money? . As always, appreciate you comments. Cheers

pnp, May 25, 10:42am
The price gap to get the 08 with the same lower k's is around 6 grand - too big a gap to step over to unfortunately

skin1235, May 25, 10:57am
definitely a first world problem lol, or imagined to be

the nation fleet is around 23 yrs old, the average would be around 2006, so 9 yrs old
theres 50% of the drivers out there plugging around in pre 2006 vehicles, thats a hell of a lot of vehicles

do you want a reliable vehicle or is age very important to you

unclejake, May 25, 11:01am
When you buy a used car you are in many ways just buying un-used milage.

However, if there's features you like more with the higher KMs later model (looks, specifications, re-sale and performance) then unfortunately the choice is very much a personal one. Perhaps make a list of the things the newer one has and put a value against each one. The choice might be easier to make after that?

franc123, May 25, 7:09pm
Agree with #4, I think you need to be comparing the two back to back a lot more closely and comparing the features, and putting the higher km one under more scrutiny re its condition, a well maintained one that's been used on good roads is going to be nicer to drive than one that hasn't. Remember a few years down the track a 100k example is going too be much easier to sell than a 200k.

kazbanz, May 25, 8:55pm
pnp--There is no "one size fita all" answer to your problem.
First of all there is YOU.
How much driving do you actually do Far less than the average,far more than average or abouyt average (14000km is considered to be the national average)
That factor alone might sway you.
second is the actual condition of the two cars. High milage doesn't mean thrashed and low milage doesn't mean babied etc. so of course I would have a full PP inspection carried out to check the mechanical condition.
MY 2c worth. I would (given good mechanical condition) go for the lower milage older car because there haven't been enough mechanical changes to warrant the price hike in my view. Its not a dramatic upgrade just a facelift.

pnp, May 25, 9:15pm
Cheers all. Yeah I've researched both models & both models have very similar specs & condition, with all the bells & whistles on each. Yeah I realise it's very much a personal choice. a I said - it's more of a 1st world problem haha - plus I've still gotta keep some funds available for that boulevard Kaz :-)

thejazzpianoma, May 26, 3:39am
I would buy the one that isn't rusty (often hidden/repaired rust underneath, in the engine bay, under rear guards etc). Mazda have built some supurb product in past, but it's beyond pathetic that their late model offerings suffer premature rust, or even rust at all. It's not the 1970's anymore.

So, yes, my advice is get whichever one up on a hoist and go over it VERY carefully.

jmma, May 26, 5:03am
Oh the old " I seen some rust in a Mazda Once" and now all Mazdas are rust buckets, OK (o:

gmphil, May 26, 6:48am
lower k one be my pick if buy for missus or kids I think u get better bang for ur buck .
me I like wot takes my fancy at the time . as I don't care as long as all three of us are happy
me myself and I

sr2, Sep 14, 9:27am
I think the jury's still out on the Mazda rust issue?