2008 Mk5 Golf R32 - Coolant / leak issue?

200sx, Oct 3, 11:35pm
Hi all - any thoughts on this? Was driving home last night, noticed a few drops of liquid coming from underneath the car - appeared to be coolant (orange / yellow in line with the G12 I use), got home, noticed on the left front side of the engine, just behind the radiator, a small pool of that liquid (maybe 100-150ml), and a whistling sound coming from a pipe/bracket that leads to the radiator on the left. Shut the car down, checked it again this morning - no repeat. No whistle, no fluid leaks - but the engine fan is running at maximum RPM. Coolant level overall hasn't dropped, no warning lights on dash, and engine temperature remains normal once car has warmed up (needle right at 12 oclock). I don't know, and am reluctant to drive it anywhere but to dealer on Monday. Any ideas? Cheers

daryl14, Oct 3, 11:43pm
There is a leak which needs to be addressed. The car will stay at normal operating temperature until all the coolant is gone. And then it will melt. Fan running will be for Air Con. 2nd fan may cyle on if car left to idle. If you have a stable coolant level it should be safe to drive to the workshop.
There is a leak which needs to be addressed.

intrade, Oct 3, 11:43pm
dont drive it if you got a coolant loss then there is a problem you could now have a air pocket stopping correct cooling , new cars extreemly easy crack hads and ruin the whole engine not just vw any newer car are built with no tollarances the materials are calculated to just not brake when all is well and if something is not well they materials fail like dominos , falling over one thing nukes another

intrade, Oct 3, 11:45pm
in the G12 bowl open the lid and start the car do you see coolant return to the bowl when you run it for a quick check when cold?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBaOFoQkZzg&html5=1

200sx, Oct 3, 11:50pm
Hi - the fan comes on within 10 seconds of turning the engine on from cold, and that's without the aircon being on. Remains at high RPM thoughout.

200sx, Mar 29, 10:08am
Thanks, I will check.