Nissan Caravan & Navara / Skyline gearbox's

mrfxit, Apr 2, 2:04am
Ok, next issue.
Tail shaft bronze bearing is too loose on the driveshaft & causing excessive wear on the rear seal (peeing oil in other words)

Where & how much to source a replacement.

Apparently can't get them from Nissan without the entire tailshaft housing

seadubya, Apr 2, 2:39am

mrfxit, Aug 1, 6:20pm
Got some lingering issues with my 95 Nissan Caravan gearbox & have heard that some internals are interchangeable between the Caravan & Skyline/ Narvara box's.
The Caravan box is an R55w71c

Also does anyone know of a Narvara box (2wd or 4wd) that is column change & could be fitted to the van.

mrfxit, Aug 2, 7:48am
Any ideas guys

hrt, Aug 2, 10:45am
What are the "lingering issues" ?

mrfxit, Aug 2, 9:17pm
Gear wear patterns from unintended mismatch of parts.
All the parts looked ok but clearly the wear patterns between them are not compatible after all

Random syncro snicking & random (mostly when cold) moderately tight to get in gear.
Front bearing & or layshaft noise when stationary & clutch out (noise only there when the box is up to running temp/hot)
Sometimes get temp locked out of 3rd when turning a sharp corner & changing in to 3rd at the same time.
Changing down is fine
It's a rebuilt box from many other parts but with all new bearings

Trying to find another box to rebuild or a set of internals that can be swapped over or a different model box that we can bolt in.

supernova2, Aug 3, 5:14am
What oil you running?
Your turning lock out sounds like a linkage/mounts problem rather than box internal.

mrfxit, Aug 3, 6:25am
Yea a little hard to confirm because . well you know . turning AND changing gears isn't the simplest thing to do with a really short 1st & 2nd gear to get around large corners in town ;-)

3rd gear cluster has a bit of end play that you can feel with the gearshift when on & off the accelerator.
The other gears don't move the lever.

mrfxit, Aug 3, 6:50am
Oil is a 75/90 grade.

The growl is what you would expect from a shot front /input shaft bearing.
Goes away when you put your foot on the clutch.
Brand new full clutch kit

mrcat1, Aug 4, 1:41am
So driving a twin stick with a steering wheel as big as the moon is easier?

mrfxit, Aug 4, 2:04am
LOL, anything thats not working correctly is a hassle when using it in awkward places

poppy62, Aug 4, 4:51am
Mrfixit. mate you should have gone for a 2nd hand box in the 1st place like I suggested. $250.00 and it's condition would have matched the rest of the van.

mrfxit, Aug 4, 7:52am
Hadn't been able to find anything even remotely like that price & certainly not in reasonable condition.
Unbeknown to me at the time of purchase, theses box's are like hens teeth on a bull farm

poppy62, Aug 4, 8:02am
It was about the time you purchased the Gypsymobile that I'm sure I saw at least 3 at the Pickapart yard in Takanini. There was also a 2.7 Navara and Atlas that would have been useable.

supernova2, Aug 4, 9:14am
My Navara box has done 900,000km and howls like a banshee. On 1st shift into 2nd it balks when cold. 3rd syncro is getting easy to beat but other than that its fine.
The oil sounds about right - is it GL4 or GL5? I've got the owners manual somewhere so will see what the factory recommended.
I read somewhere that the internals of the floor change and column change boxes are the same. If thats the case then any ol box will give you the bits to rebuild it again.
Are the linkages adjustable? If so maybe they not quite right.
As for the grumble I'd just live with it - turn the stereo up!

mrfxit, Aug 4, 10:51am
LOL, bit of a stuff up on Nissans part on theses box's.

"As for the grumble I'd just live with it"
*Cough* . yea thats what the last owner did & it broke the side out of the main front bearing/ welded a cog bearing sleeve to the main shaft/ lumps fell out in the drain pan when the oil was drained/ the crud going through the tail shaft bearing also grooved the driveshaft yoke AND . yada yada assorted other damage.
The dang thing tried to jam up on the way back from Jaffaland.

Oh, & it was by that stage totally pointless to use the radio

supernova2, Aug 4, 11:12am
Well if it's all new bearings then it shouldn't be a bearing that's rumbling. Sounds to me as if the 1st box didn't have any oil at some stage. How loud is the grumble/rumble in your "new" box?

mrfxit, Aug 4, 8:05pm
No idea on how the box was maintained before me except that it appears that the van has only had whats needed to keep it running.
The old box was full of oil but even if it had been run out, then I don't know how because the box & underside of the van was reasonably clean of any signs of a "drainable leak" for anytime in recent years (as in many years ago)
As I said above, the grumble thats there is what you would expect for a shot front/input shaft bearing., no noise when clutch pressed in but noisy when clutch out (not in gear)
Easy to hear over the engine idle noise (it's a van, so you are pretty much sitting on top of it).
Complete new clutch kit fitted.
No noise when the box is cold but definitely there when the box is hot.
We are suspecting a wear pattern mismatch between the main gears & the lay shaft.

gmphil, Aug 5, 5:44am
chuck in a couple banana skin, shel b as good as new

mrfxit, Aug 9, 7:30pm
Any more ideas on whats compatible to fit this van?

poppy62, Aug 9, 9:10pm
Automatic unit?

mrfxit, Apr 2, 12:55pm
EEEWWwww, but yea nah the parts won't swap over