Do I need seatbelts?

laspaz, May 27, 9:46am
I have a 1962 ute that I need to re-register.

The factory did not start seatbelt mounts until '63 and the ute does not have any. From what I can see, anything newer than 1958 needs front seatbelts, can anyone confirm this, or would I be alright without them.

Just asking for re-rego purposes, rather than safety.

ml6989, May 27, 9:57am
If my memory is correct you need at least front seat belts in the outboard seating positions for vehicles first registered on or after 1st June 1955. The next lot of rules came in on 1st November 1979. Google VIRM (Vehicle Inspection Requirements Manual) to get a full handle on the subject.

laspaz, May 27, 9:59am
Thanks, that was my understanding too. Was really hoping to hold off on a cert until later on.

supernova2, May 28, 7:15am
You will need to sort out exactly what you can fit as there are very specific places you can put the mounting points. Wade you way through all this.
http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Seatbelts_&%20Seatbelt_Anchorages.pdf.
IIRC aboy 1973 all vehicles had to have belts fitted so if your ute has been on the road since 73 there must be some sort of mounts already there. If its a rerego situation in theory whatever was fitted in 73 should comply but I wouldn't bet on it being accepted without a very long argument.

kokako14, May 28, 12:55pm
If you put a set of belts in the ute yourself and took it down to be checked, the WOF Inspector would look at his sheet and see the seatbelt question, look in the ute, see the belts, check they arnt damaged, ie frayed etc and tick the box seatbelts OK.
Doubt he would even look at the mountings

peja, May 28, 1:54pm
If you did this and took it to a VTNZ, chances are you will fluke it through - a lot of them really dont know what they are doing, especially with older vehicles. If it looks good, chances are they'll pass it.

laspaz, May 28, 7:24pm
That may be the way to go. I only have 2 concerns about that method.

1, The belts would be brand new, period correct lap belts. Will the fact I have clearly replaced with new be an issue?

2, Is the re-registration or re-vin process more likely to pick up on something a Wof wouldn't? (In regards to fitting belts myself).

magoo2, Aug 30, 7:23pm
I am pretty sure you need lap and diagonal belts unless you get an exemption because there is nowhere suitable for the top mount