Seatbelts

Page 1 / 2
moosie_21, Jan 31, 2:14am
Perdantic guys at VTNZ failed my car on a fray in my left-hand seatbelt that is literally 1mm wide. Now need new seatbelt. Was wondering if any other ones from Jap cars would fit into it's slot! Was quoted $75 from autoparts store here for new one, bugger that! Any help appreciated, TIA.

jono2912, Jan 31, 2:29am
Yeahh. So what car do you have!

mellisa2000, Jan 31, 2:36am
$75 is cheap. How much a life! Most belts range around $140-$250. New dealer belts can be up to $1400.

johnf_456, Jan 31, 2:56am
The funny thing is these seat belts will lift the entrie weight of an engine even a big v8 and show no signs of failure. Op get a second opinion, you could use a lighter a little to clean it up. Vtnz are known for been untrusty worthy so ignore Melissa and get a second or third opinion even. Vtnz are well known to be pathetic on countless times.

By all means if it looks dangerous but get a opinion by someone with a brain and common sense.

jono2912, Jan 31, 2:58am
Toilet paper John!

johnf_456, Jan 31, 2:59am
Oh and search vtnz on here make your own judgement call.

johnf_456, Jan 31, 3:00am
! Do u work at vtnz

intrade, Jan 31, 3:11am
the problem is damage to the belt in any form is a fail. at any wof place.the impact from a accident is far more then hanging a engine on the belt its dropping the engine from 2 meter in to the belt not just hanging it on it slowly.

johnf_456, Jan 31, 3:24am
Well I've even lifted cars on a belt but my point is get a second opinion one mm if that is not much. And as you know in trade vtnz are not trust worthy.

johnf_456, Jan 31, 3:26am
Vtnz are not trust worthy experts IMHO, the amount of bull shit I have seen clients failed on is crazy

tmenz, Jan 31, 3:29am
$75 is a really good price - replace it!

moosie_21, Jan 31, 4:29am
Hmmm, ok, just e-mailed a few sellers on here asking their prices. It's a '93 Celica btw, sorry, forgot my brain today!

mellisa2000, Jan 31, 7:11am
Que! I unreservedly apologise sir.
For upsetting you in some way.

#1, buy a new belt.

moosie_21, Jan 31, 7:23am
Ok, thanks for the advice.

gammelvind, Jan 31, 7:32am
Same thing cost my mother $700 for her renault

sandypheet, Jan 31, 7:57am
Shock loading is the problem,thats when they break.Lifting a V8,big deal.

johnf_456, Jan 31, 8:02am
Try searching vtnz on here and see what there incompetencet is.
Here is a big laugh for you:
http://www.google.co.nz/search!hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=XVp&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=vtnz+competence&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

I purely do not believe what vtnz fails is a real fail. It could of even been a bit of fluff, vtnz do not always have there head screwed on. Which is why I advise not to use them and find a trust worthy mechanic and stick to him. Not only will he look after you, but you will get proper service. But yes shock loading example was not the best, I have a link somewhere of some breaking strengths of belts that are so called failed vs fine ones. Inconsistency is the key are with vtnz.

smac, Jan 31, 7:44pm
johnf_456 you really are a muppet at times.

VTNZ as an entity do not inspect vehicles. Inspectors employed by them do. There will be crap ones, and good ones, as with any organisation. But dragging out your personal crusade against them because they failed a frayed seatbelt! Get a grip man.

budgel, Jan 31, 7:50pm
I once had a fail on a (very slightly) furry seatbelt. I shaved the small amount of fur off the outside with a disposable razor which left the sound seatbelt fully visible. The outside edges which I didnt want to risk cutting, I ran a very hot soldering iron down, which removed any stray hairs showing.
Of course I wouldnt recommend this to anyone as it is a safety issue!

johnf_456, Jan 31, 8:25pm
The employees of vtnz represent vtnz imho so they are.
Its not just personal, please do a search on here about problems people have had with vtnz. All I said is get a 2nd opinion in which the OP has every right to do. Same goes for any trade, you must be a sad person to only believe one person. There is morons in all trades, so nothing wrong with getting a 2nd opinion to be sure by a expert. SO getting a 2nd opinion makes me a muppet, wow so you must be what . here then to believe one persons answer. Has 1mm seems is small which is why I say get a 2nd opinion by a real expert. Others in here know vtnz cannot be trusted but if you trust your life on there crap and refuse to get second opinions then good for you.

This 1mm thing could be a bit of furry fluff who knows!

johnf_456, Jan 31, 8:40pm
While I agree its best to get a 2nd opinion especially considering this is vtnz we are dealing with. I have seen bits of fluff fail a wof at vtnz before so it would not surprise me. When we are talking about 1mm, pxt op!

smac, Jan 31, 8:46pm
john the OP themselves is saying that there is a 1mm fray, not fluff.

I don't need to search for background on VTNZ; as I've said in many of those VTNZ bashing threads no one here has come up with one shred of evidence to suggest they are any better or worse than any other outfit. Given their profile and size, mere word of mouth doesn't cut it.

I don't work for them, never have and have no vested interest in their success or failure. I just find ignorance annoying.

Edit: however is it worth noting that many of the people perpetrating the stories of VTNZ's 'incompetence' DO have a vested interest in their failure.

ct9a, Jan 31, 8:51pm
whats more important a seatbelt or brakes .seems people argue the safety on both .sigh

johnf_456, Jan 31, 8:54pm
Well we just "have to assume" its a fray, which is why I say a pxt or second opinion. Most people in the industry have seen the crap coming out of vtnz especially up in auckland here. Up here it is mostly run by foreigners (failed mechanics) but out of town I have heard its much better. Consistency is the key here, I have no problem with a real fail, but if in doubt get a 2nd opinion IMHO. No point replacing something because one idiot says this needs doing. Chill.

johnf_456, Jan 31, 8:54pm
explain why a second opinion is wrong, aren't you in the industry. Surely you know what vtnz are like!