Jaguar V8 engines.

fiatracer, May 29, 3:42am
There is loads and loads of "internet wisdom" about the Jaguar AJV8 engine, and its tendency to self destruct due to plastic cam chain tensioners breaking down over time. Jaguar released two updates to this part - a 2nd plastic version [no better] and finally post-2002 an aluminium part. I'm wanting real-world NZ market experience - has anyone owned, or worked on one and had any problem? Removed the tensioner and seen any significant wear? Nearest Jag workshop reckons it's massively overstated. just wanting to clarify. thanks

jason_247, May 29, 4:20am
No jag experiance but the same sort of part in bmws ive seen fail.

in my opinion its almost always related to oil quality and change intervals.
Once the teflon surface wears through the chain eats it real fast.

Every engine with yellow alloy inside they are fine, everything with dark staining or sludge and they are failing.

Also seen them wear the crank sprockets down to be really sharp teeth.

kazbanz, May 29, 5:42am
Fiatracer-How much to retrofit the ally tensioner?

extrayda, May 29, 9:45am
I briefly considered a nice looking XJR on here (pre 2000), but after finding out about the tensioners and worse, the potential nikasil issue I got put off.
Don't know if the issue was overstated or not.
Will be interested to hear any real world experience.

elect70, May 30, 2:59am
I looked at a few early ones for sale All had the tensioners / timing chains replaced with later ones . No one wants to buy them unless its been done . Also top suspension bushes .

fiatracer, May 30, 3:34am
kaz - sounds like it can be a 3k job. It's interesting - the aforementioned 'wisdom' says it's a critical failing with these engines and they will almost certainly fail and destroy the engine.

BUT, jag agent says it's rare, and they only have dealt with one, ONE, replacement due to a rattle. My mate was also a Jag mechanic and it's the only one he ever saw in years of servicing jags

fiatracer, Aug 27, 11:14am
after owning four x300s, it's time to look at moving to an x308. The x300 [94- 6 cylinder] has a well-earned reputation for being damned durable. the x308 [99- v8s] are somewhat more complex