2013 Mitsi Triton Air Bag fault

Page 1 / 2
jan106, Feb 10, 1:15pm
Does anyone else have this? Has been back to dealer twice to be reset. Now they say its faulty but the part they need is on back order and wont be sorted until late next month.

survivalkiwi, Feb 10, 5:36pm
Had a 2007 triton and now have a 2010 triton. Have never had a problem with the air bags. Infact apart from a few minor recalls I have never had a problem with them.

yogibearz, Feb 10, 6:06pm
Look on the bright side and be thankful its under warranty. Any make or model can have problems.

jan106, Feb 10, 6:30pm
Its a lease so these things are just an annoyance. It has ben recalled three times now. Not sure if we will get the same again when the lease runs out

a.woodrow, Feb 10, 6:45pm
They are replacing the floor and roof wiring harnesses, yes parts are on backorder ex japan as it isn't a common service item, they have made new ones with better connections that won't work loose causing the airbag light to come on. Common issue amongst many manufacturers, a lot of brands say just put cable ties around the plugs to hold them together but it's not a proper fix in all cases

skull, Feb 10, 6:50pm
If that is what the problem is then why not ask them to cable tie the connections in the meantime while waiting for the loom to arrive.

brapbrap8, Feb 10, 8:45pm
It is really just laziness and face saving on mitsubishis part, ALL 2011-13 Tritons have issues with the wiring harness causing the SRS light to stay on as you have found.
Toyota had the same issue and did a recall to fix it, and they use most of the same components in the airbag systems according to my local mitsi service manager.

The 11-13 year Triton is a massive lemon as you are finding, so far mine has had a new stereo, new fuse box and fuses, complete new wiring harness, new syncros in the (manual) transmission, complete new paintjob.
Plus as you probably know, there has been a few recalls for other things as well.
All of the above are failures that most Triton owners are familiar with, every time I call my local dealer with a new issue the response is always "oh yeah we were wondering when that would go wrong on yours".

Mine is a 2012 with 75,000km and it seems to be reliable now.
Mitsi claims the new Triton that is on sale soon is built to much higher quality standards than the current model, so I would say they are aware of all the issues with it too.

brapbrap8, Feb 10, 9:03pm
Oh and I have an interesting story about the paint failing and getting replaced too.
The paint went all patchy and really faded just after I got it, and you could see the outlines of the protective stickers they put on the roof, bonnet etc for transport. Luckily the transmission started playing up at the same time so I took it in and told the dealer I needed another Triton as a courtesy vehicle, so they gave me the branch managers brand new Triton.

They fixed the gearbox, and invited me to come with them to their tame car painters to talk about the paint job, which kind of backfired on them when the painter advised us it was a manufacturing fault which was causing serious paint failure.
Mitsubishi dug their toes in and said that paint is specifically excluded under warranty etc and they were not going to fix it. I said oh well, your call and buggered off again in the branch managers new Triton.

It took a few weeks, and heaps of threatening phone calls from the dealer saying how their triton was reported stolen now and things.
Eventually it went to the top of Mitsubishi NZ who refused to pay for the paint, eventually the manger got grumpy enough that I wouldn't give him his new ute back that he leaned on the dealer principal and the dealership ended up paying for my ute to get completely repainted.

It looks like it is supposed to now, no thanks to Mitsubishi really!

jan106, Feb 11, 2:31am
Well there is a nice patch of rust forming above one of the rear doors. When they do the air bag recall/fixup I will show them. We lease it through our business, so frankly its just an inconvenience to keep taking it back. If we had bought it then I would be having a tantrum about all the issues. It has just been back for the coolant recall and last year there was something else they recalled it for.

m16d, Feb 11, 4:51am
Well my 2010 Triton looks as good and drives as good as the day I bought it. never had a problem with it. :]

survivalkiwi, Feb 11, 7:03am
Mine too. I get people saying is that a new one. I say no its almost five years old. I have the gls auto with leather trim. Been a great truck and I would have a trailer on the back more often than I do not.

wind.turbine, Feb 11, 10:31am
have a 2007 GLS that has just reached 200,000KM
bought it off my dad which he had it since new.
has only ever had a hanger bearing done and that's it.
it still goes great, apart from its surging which it has always done and seems like its a common thing with that model.

I like the idea of buying a new one but don't think it will ever be as nice as my one, especially now they are dropping the engine size again!
I hate all these new utes that are too high geared as you have to ride the clutch all the time

brapbrap8, Feb 12, 12:09am
The older 3.2 Triton was a better ute than the newer 2.5.
Tritons are really high geared compared to other utes too, part of the reason I am hoping to change mine this year.
Might go for a 70 series cruiser, a real ute with not much gadgets.

happylad3, Feb 13, 7:35am
If it's got quite a surge, do you have a local mitsi dealer near you? I'd take it in and get them to plug the M.U.T 3 into it. And got a fuel pressure check done. At idle the actual pressure should mimic the target pressure. Then a driving test to check pressure too. If the pressures vary from the targets, it will need a new suction control valve. Easy to replace. Only takes half hour to do.

wind.turbine, Feb 13, 9:17am
Had it in at the dealer for its big service when it reached 200k, asked them about it and they seem to think it is just something that model has always had a bad habit of doing, normally does it when letting it run down a hill in 4th gear then accelerating at the bottom, you can feel a definite pulling and pushing over and over until you rev it more or change into 5th, it has done this from new

wind.turbine, Feb 13, 9:19am
they also said they are known to get carbon build up in the manifold but they checked that and said it was not bad enough to cause any issues

happylad3, Feb 13, 9:39am
Oh that's odd. I've never had one that has been surging, that wasn't fixed with a new SCV or a manifold clean. I'm assuming yours is a 3.2?nothing silly like a petrol one?

wind.turbine, Feb 13, 4:10pm
yea 3.2

intrade, Feb 13, 5:55pm
ok facts from post 15
has done this from new means the components are suposedly not faulty and the intake is clean when it is new .
This would mean it would be a programming issue , manufacturer tsb with flashing upgrades could fix this if you are bothered by this.
Also a important thing what mitsubishi do for there farm ute model Diesel the software is to make the farm one sound harsh and the same engine on the auckland suv models has programming to run it silent non tractor like.
explenation to this is farmers wont buy it if it dont sound like a tractor as they think something is wrong with it otherwise . that is the reason given for the programming to sound more tractor like.
only other conclusion is the component is faulty from new either egr or a control system of the commonrail high pressure . i dont want to blame it on 1 component , but if it was my truck i would find out what causes the surge with the pico-scope and controlling the high pressure pump independently from the engine controller with a patented tool to test drive the cr system independednt from the ecu.

rctr, Feb 14, 12:01am
The surge you are describing should have been fixed with a software rewrite back in 09 however it has been left off the automatic ecu reprogram and never fixed. See your dealer and get them to check ecu software . The software with the fix ends with 04 if it doesn't have 04 software it will have to be manually loaded. They can access the required file information on VOLS.

wind.turbine, Feb 14, 12:35am
by what I hear it did get a slight re map shortly after purchase as it was always getting used for towing and it was a bit light on toque, I plan on getting them to do the next service so will talk to them about that update then

rctr, Feb 14, 12:46am
There has been 2 or 3 updates for that model.

happylad3, Feb 14, 1:05am
It also depends if it's the "450nm" model. There were a very few that had a different fuel map etc for more torque. But all the later ecu updates have overwritten them back to standard.

intrade, Feb 14, 9:33am
Hm finally a thread where we actuarly seem to all agree
what one should not do is change a upgrade . Like the guy from aecs told us a story about that a moron told him all mercs need this flash and said to him dont you know this. So He got his new merc and demanded he get this suposed update there was nothing wrong with his transmission but there is now, that this suposed must have! upgrade was done. Lesson is dont go flashing things if there is no tsb for it and especially not if nothing is wrong how it functions before you flashed it.
this is not limmited to any make is why i mention this mercedes .

happylad3, Feb 14, 8:12pm
Intrade: with the Mitsubishi scan tool, you can do forced updates, with risks of failure etc. But there is also an automatic detect update, which will only update the software that has been specifically made for that engine/trans/vehicle.