Customer Service - Not!

tony9, Dec 24, 3:56am
Bought a car from a large national car auction crowd that used to sell vegetables. Car is in Auckland and I have arranged transport to Christchurch.

The listing showed a security registered, but I spoke to the consultant and he said all was sorted and not to worry about it.

Today I had a check and MTF are still showing as having an interest so I called them. After 45 minutes of stuffing around, yes money is still owing and there is no record of any settlement queries. They suggested I speak to the Auctioneers. I called the consultant, he said "nothing to do with me, I need to call Shona, but she is away and may or may not be around tomorrow. He made it clear he does not give a sh#t because that sort of thing is not his job.

Is it unreasonable that I am pissed off?

ozz1, Dec 24, 3:58am
looks like they are still selling veges,. eg lemons.

intrade, Dec 24, 4:07am
Well the thing is you being pissed off dont soves the problem.
i wonder what a pile of crap you will get people whom owe money also never servie there cars its why they end up for auction in the end.
So i would reverse the payment soonest if you can by any means .

mrfxit, Dec 24, 4:25am
Very reasonable

Yep bit of a shame but I would be NAGGING like crazy to get it sorted ASAP even to the point of returning cancelling the vehicle & reversing/ demanding a refund, (which ever applies best)
Head office need to know about this sort of thing to stop it happening again.
So . who's going to pay if it gets repo'd?

tony9, Dec 24, 4:30am
It being a potential pile of crap is already factored into the price.

I have threatened to rewind the transaction, but that would make me even more pissed off - this is part of a project I have been working on for a while.

tony9, Dec 24, 4:33am
Head office will know about the saga, no matter what the outcome.

At the end of the day I have no doubt I will not be out of pocket, either due to the CGA or the Vegie dealers "guarantee". But bad customer service really winds me up.

sw20, Dec 24, 4:46am
Like most large businesses once they have your money they no longer care .

franc123, Dec 24, 5:05am
It bloody well IS their problem, they're supposed to be guaranteeing clear title of this stuff, they're in breach of contract if they won't sort it out.

poppy62, Dec 24, 7:53am
That's what happens when you deal with "Redneck and supposed Petrol Head car auctioneers".

m16d, Dec 24, 7:57am
If your in Christchurch. wtf would you buy a car in Auckland. ?

supernova2, Dec 24, 8:01am
Turners will sort it.
I had a similar problem and once I got hold of the correct person was fixed within 10 mins.
Don't bother with the consultant - they don't deal with that part of the paperwork.
Just ring the branch involved and speak to the office staff.
If you have no joy pop back and i'll post up the email of one of the head honchos

xs1100, Dec 24, 9:06am
really at the end of the day bad service but what would you expect from them and at the end of the day if its repo ed you will still get full cover having brought off a LMVD with the CGA and paid the fee to guarantee clear title

westwyn, May 6, 2:25am
Steady on.
The car you've bought is most probably being sold on behalf of the finance company- in this case MTF- who WILL hold their security on the vehicle until they're paid the proceeds (or notified, it depends upon the individual contract) by the auction house post-sale.

Often there's a disconnect between the securities teams, and the collections / authority to sell teams within a finance company- simply calling MTF may have got you no answer simply because (a) you're not their client, and legally, they're unable to provide you with information without the written authority of the client; and (b) unless you talk to the disposal / collections officer you won't get an answer regardless.

The big ex-vegetable car sales group (who also auction cars) are RMVT's and are well aware, I'm almost 101% certain, of their legal obligations. They have correctly sold the car identifying a security, they will, I'm sure, take the steps to have their client (the financier) lift the security. It just can take a bit of time to grind through the system, given that payment to the clients, and security settlement; is not handled at a branch level- it's done centrally from their Penrose HQ.

I'm no fanboy of said ex-vegetable-selling car sales group, but I have a fairly good understanding of how they work, since a portion of my own business is consulting to another (not MTF) finance company for the valuation and sale planning of repossessed stock, the majority of which goes through said ex-vegetable house. And the scenario I've described above is exactly what happens- our company does not lift a security until sale confirmation / payment has been made. It can take a bit of time to sort.

The Purchase Protection you "paid" for on top of your bid price includes a guarantee of good title and a "make good" clause.