Tyre repairable with a string?

Page 2 / 2
tamarillo, Feb 10, 1:07am
It's a temp repair only ever. Don't do it.

scuba, Feb 10, 1:14am
Those aren't facts they are just your opinion.

Your tyre failed because the person removing it from the rim didn;t know what they were doing.,. the only way the "steel ring " Bead? can fail is if it has been damaged by an incompetent person while taking it off the rim.

" i also done a string repair to a rear tyre on this car without removal of the tyre , as thats the whole point of using the string"

All tyre manufaturers recommend removal of tyre from rim to check for internal damage especially for on road tyres.

"I recon its saver to do a string repair without removal then having the tyre dangerously come off the rim because it was manufacurede to be fitted once only and never to be removed untill it is worn"

No They just need to be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing.

bjmh, Feb 10, 1:19am
why do people think its clever to deceive a wof inspector. its not the wof inspector whos going to have a tyre malfunction at X speed,its the pull thru that did his own illegal repair.

tub4, Feb 10, 6:59am
I along with many other motorcyclists use those string repair kits to get us home but most get the repair sorted when we're home.

rkauto, Feb 10, 8:30am
String repairs are not permitted as they allow moisture and water into the cords weakening the tyre. Plugs seal the hole off.

tintop, Feb 10, 8:57am
Yep - If you still have some bias ply tyres lying around.

gmphil, Feb 10, 11:03am
sqidlie wrote:
Long long ago there were things called "inner Tubes"
I wonder if people still use them[/quote
sure do tow the kids down the river

rpvr, Feb 10, 7:23pm
It exists all right, my comment was just an observation that it seems a bit pointless to include a reason for rejection in the VIRM as "a string repair visible from the outside" when often they are not. When taking a car to VTNZ for a WOF I have never seen the inspector check the whole circumference of the tread anyway, they just look at the tread depth and cast a quick glance at the sidewalls. Occasionally they use a tread gauge but often it's just a guess, because I have had instances when the recorded tread depth was greater than the previous time!

noodleman4, Feb 10, 8:13pm
+1 here , never leave home without em.

intrade, Feb 10, 8:56pm
tyre repair with strings . is it possible = yes
tyre repair is it legal = not any more
tyre repair with string is it save? = yes if you know what your doing
tyre repair is it going to fail = yes if you are a moron who has no clue of whyt you just did with the strings.

one thing i see the benefit over strings to mushrooms is you pull the nail and you know the angle the nail went in the string and glue with the string! yes there is glue with strings if your not a moron you know this is in the packet with the strings , and i dont want to debate if its glue or vulcanising compound or what ever the hell you wish to call it.
You feed the wire in the same direction the nail was in . this means there is minimal extra damage and the hole is sealed shut with the glue just like on a mushroom repair.
Downside is you cant see inside it as the string should have a loop not to big or small poke inside the tyre .
Normally if you have a tini bit of knowhow you can judge if you can fit a string repair to a puncture and you can also guess the damage the item made when you pull it out like a nail.
This does not make the repair legal as legel and ilegal are the same words one just has a i infront of it ,
You can repair a tyre with mushroom just as dengareously! the thing is morons are not likely to be able to remove a tyre to start with .

tweake, Feb 21, 9:33pm
exactly right.
the string allows water into the steel belts which can then come apart causing the tire to blow out.

ladatrouble, Feb 21, 9:41pm
Boots allow more water into the belts than a string repair, but boots are a legal repair, strings aren't. The important thing is that the tyre be removed for inspection and a mushroom or boot repair is done from the inside.

differentthings, Feb 21, 9:56pm
I would change the place where you get your wof then. I watch the guys that do mine and they rotate all the tyres checking for damage etc and not just the tread depth . Last time they found a nail in the tyre and failed me

tweake, Feb 22, 2:40am
i would think a solid bit of rubber glued in the hole will let in a lot less water than a fibrous string that acts like a wick.

ladatrouble, Feb 22, 3:00am
A boot leaves the hole open.

xs1100, Feb 22, 3:27am
brilliant my only Q would be if it had of failed at 105kph and killed some innocent kid or person would you also be prepared to put yr hand up and admit it. I suggest not and would you also be willing to recompense the family for any loss caused by your actions. I suggest not and as a final point are you a professional tyre fitter with your own business there I again prob not. so really in this case were by the chances of something going horribily wrong for a $100.00 tyre are probably not worth it

tweake, Feb 22, 4:46am

scuba, Feb 22, 9:18am
I take it you haven't seen a string repair- they have a glue like sealer that helps seal the hole.
Also if you look at your last post the puncture repair is within the repairable area.It is not on the shoulder.

Doesn't mean i used string repairs Just think mushroom style repairs are better and all repairs should be done off rim.

tweake, Mar 4, 11:38pm
i havn't seen one in 20+ years.

3tomany, Mar 5, 12:50am
I use them all the time on quad tires and always light the remaining wick with a match and let it burn down to the casing, this stops the repair from leaking in the future as the molten wick moulds to the tire

mainlander05, May 16, 7:50pm
You are giving death dealing advise.
We are not allowed by law to fix a puncture when it is not on the tread directly on the road.
And mate I've seen how much people really treat their Tyre safety.
Unbelievable fools to save $50.