Time to boycott many North Shore petrol stations?

Page 1 / 2
socram, Nov 8, 6:28am
I can accept a cent or so variation, but what is it with the Takapuna/Onewa Domain/Onewa Rd/Birkenhead/Glenfield and Northcote fuel outlets, that they are 5 or 6c a litre more than say the adjacent Beachaven and North Glenfield, or West Auckland - even the Bombays?

With a 50 - 60 litre fill, that is a significant cost difference.

franc123, Nov 8, 6:29am
So what are you actually paying per litre?

socram, Nov 8, 6:33am
Diesel, from $1.14 to about $1.19 at the moment - but it tends to change pretty quickly.

seadubya, Nov 8, 6:35am
Today in Whitianga
91 $1.98
95 $2.09
Diesel $1.24

matarautrader, Nov 8, 6:38am
Have a look on http://www.pricewatch.co.nz
Up here around Whangarei most regular petrol is $1.859. But a station only 20km away is $1.999 a litre. So you can save 14 cents a litre by driving 20km

monaro17, Nov 8, 6:38am
In the nicest possible way. suck.it.up!

You are still paying less than most places.
Prices here in CHCH (same across the city)
91 195.9
95 204.9
Diesel 121.9

stevo2, Nov 8, 6:49am
Servos on Cameron Road Tauranga are $1.219 for diesel so I drove right past them all today as I was going to the other side of town and filled up for $1.059.
Yep, 16 cents difference AND then I got discount off that with AA Smartfuel card.
I got some 91 for the lawnmower and that was $184.9
I don't go around looking for the cheapest price but I will support those that are offering cheaper fuel and therefore encouraging competition.

franc123, Nov 8, 6:53am
That's cheap, its possible to pay 1.35 in some places but is generally around 1.22 down here. Be grateful for Gull in your town.

mrfxit, Nov 8, 6:56am
Cheaper at Gull.
Diesel at $1.03 (I think it was) on Friday morning.

rctr, Nov 8, 7:24am
Rotorua diesel between 93c and 1.05

socram, Nov 8, 9:51am
You are missing the point. Within a fairly small radius, it appears there is some sort of price fixing, without any good reason. We all know that distances from refineries can affect the price, but with so many around, you'd think they'd be more competitive.

Gull is a little bit further away - and cheaper, but it doesn't have a very good reputation for fuel quality around here.

aredwood, Nov 8, 9:53am
Cheaper again out south. The Mobil on Hill rd Manurewa was selling 91 for 178.9 and diesel for 103.9 on Tuesday. And the Mobil in Mt Wellington had 91 for 179.9 and diesel for 105.9 on Friday (If I remember right).

I always fill up out south or west if Im going there for a job. It might just be the petrol companies charging more because they can. Or maybe the cheaper petrol stations are on land with cheaper rent.

kokako14, Nov 8, 10:35am
You should just drive around until you find the cheapest petrol station and pay the least price. That way you will save $3.60 on your 60 lt fill. I guess it doesnt matter you used 2 litres of petrol to drive around looking for the cheapest price, so thats the best part of $4 in petrol.
Yep, that good economics to boycott your local petrol station to save money

marmar1, Nov 8, 5:06pm
They know people are more well off in your area and they take advantage of it.

mrcat1, Nov 8, 7:38pm
And here I am thinking that 86.9 for diesel is too expensive.

patiki1, Nov 8, 7:50pm
Its a rich tax

socram, Nov 8, 8:31pm
I wouldn't a call the occupiers of the 100's of state houses in Northcote at all affluent! Loads of pensioners around too.

Of course we're not going to drive around looking for cheap fuel, that is a dumb statement. It's a case of just not buying it locally any more. Caltex at Beachaven rather than the local BP, Shell and Mobil is currently the best value - and their diesel pump is high volume one too (as long as you accept that the pump handle is usually very grubby!). They also give the AA fuel card discount.

golfdiver, Nov 8, 8:34pm
You could just get a fuel card and then get 4 cents off the national price no matter where you fill up, with flybuys as well

kazbanz, Nov 8, 9:00pm
Socram--Im sorry mate I genuinely don't understand your point.
Within reason theres nothing stopping petrol stations putting different prices on their fuel. Equally you aren't compelled to buy fuel from them.
By the very fact you intend to go elsewhere and for sure you aren't alone the higher priced stations will notice a decrease in profit so desired affect achieved.

gazzat22, Nov 8, 9:18pm
Pertsonally i always used to buy petrol from Shell as they were the last to put the price up and the first to put it down as well as having little "wars"with the Mobil station across the road.With the Advent of "Z" the opposite applies so I never go to "Z" Never go to BP, havent decided whether BP stands for BIG PROFITS or BUGGER the PUBLIC.

mimik3, Nov 8, 9:21pm
Here in north Brisbane its 109.4 per litre for ULP 91 and 119.4for ULP 98.

brapbrap8, Nov 8, 9:27pm
Nice to see our prices in the waikato have been brought down significantly compared to other areas, we were previously 15-20c dearer than Auckland, now only about 5c.
Must be a change of policy by Z as their prices dropped 15c overnight at my local servo and have stayed down.

tgray, Nov 8, 10:17pm
Go to west Auckland and Avondale and New Lynn stations are around 15c p/litre cheaper than Auck North shore ones.

gazzat22, Nov 8, 11:52pm
Isn,t queensland about 50-60% self sufficient in oil/petrol.When we were there in late 1990,s it was and there was a"transition"zone for about 20 km in NSW so retailers on theNSW-queensland border could survive.Queensland also had no WOF,s but very high registration fees.

pge, Nov 8, 11:59pm
I am approx as far north of the Aucklland CBD as Bombays are as far south.

Z Whangaparaoa, 7:58am, 7/10/2015 (yesterday morning)

91 oct = $2.039 /Lt

Here on the Hibiscus Coast, we get right royally fkt over by the greedy bstds