What to buy? and info on Nissan Motors - V6 & V8

edangus, Oct 19, 9:44am
Anyone had much to do with these motors and Cars?

I am still hunting for the next (lazy driver, old fart, road flattening, heaps of grunt, great cornering, awesome braking) ride.
So when you consider last daily was an SRT8 300c and the one prior was a E38 740, I am sure you can appreciate where I am heading.
Whilst I was looking to rekindle my teens with an XA or an HQ, I have decided I am an old fart who likes his creature comforts.
List is as follows:
BMW 540 Motorsport (E39)
2000 + Falcon (L6 turb or V8)
2000 + Commie (V6 Super or V8)
2000 + Nisan Skyline (350GT)
2000 + Nissan Fuga (450GT)
2000 + Merc (5 ltr + Sedan)
Audi - A4 - A6 or A8 - (V8 with 4wd)

I can't make up my mind. The Nissan Fuga really appeals, and I want something smaller than a 7 series or a 300c this time.

Any advice on yay or nay would be appreciated. (this car needs to stay with me for the next 10 years - not a daily but a weekender and I will have to tow me 4.7m Ramco occasionally - its quite light).

edangus, Oct 19, 10:03am
I like them too (that one is on my watchlist already). aaaarrgghh! too many choices.

Those launchers are bloody cool. May have to get onto that.

monaro17, Oct 19, 6:59pm
We have a V8 fuga and love it. Cannot fault it at all. Faster than many think too. Build quality is superb and faaaaar out classes any commodore or falcon, or old BMW etc.

mrcat1, Oct 19, 7:10pm
That video of the boat launcher is just down the road at Omokoroa, I launch my 7 meter Southern boat there and its easy as, and the deepest you have to go in is just above ankle height, and looking at that video it looks like the trailer has two battery boxes up the front of it, a lot of money just so you don't have to wind on a boat for a minute, waste of time to me, same as an electric capstan are a waste of money, I use a buoy to lift my anchor to the surface, easy and only cost just over $100.00.

serf407, Oct 19, 7:23pm
A County 4x4 tractor, large old bulldozer, tractor etc is a more appropriate boat launcher in many places around NZ.

muzz67, Oct 19, 7:26pm
Whats it like on fuel?

tamarillo, Oct 19, 7:28pm
What fun!
Personally the commodore prior to VF was too crap inside to spend good money on, the VF bought it close to rest of world. And it and falcon are still crude anvils up against your other choices. Huge value though.
BMW 540 presses my button, with the V8 Audi a possible, or how about a charged V6 Audi S6? That's hugely gruntly and fun.
Mercedes 63? Depends on age, Merc went through a terrible patch during there Chrysler years and complicated cars made badly are shit.

martin11, Oct 19, 7:36pm
Rubbish I have a A6 Quattro much more comfortable and a good boat launcher in most situations The guy states he only has a small tinnie .

poppy62, Oct 19, 8:23pm
Brother recently replaced his 550i BMW with a 2012 Commodore, hated all 3 months of it and has just traded it on a 3.0 twin turbo 5 Series BMW. he was a bit worried about the 3.0l as opposed to the 5LV8. A very short time later says the V8 is no match for the 3.0L twin turbo in any way. He like me and you is an old fart.

monaro17, Oct 19, 8:58pm
pretty good. Not a lot worse than the BFII Fairmont Ghia 6 cylinder it replaced. Highway running down to around 9L/100kms. I live just out of town and average 11.2L/100kms. . and I use the power when needed. It is a heavy car but has wicked acceleration. 5.6 seconds to 100.

nzjay, Oct 19, 9:01pm
The Nissans are excellent, but make sure you don't buy a CVT transmission, not up to towing.
I have a 350GT coupe, good performance and handling, lazy motor that can really grunt if needed. Excellent fuel economy in 'lazy' mode.
Look for 2005 at later, as earlier little faults were ironed out.

edangus, Oct 19, 9:30pm
Thanks guys, keep the advice rolling.
The Commie & Ford had to go on the list, but yeah, not overly excited about them.

richardmayes, Oct 20, 3:06am
I've driven a 2005 BAII XR6 Falcon and it was a very nice car with a refined ride and taught handling when you wanted it.

Probably a bit under-gunned for what you are after.

But a previous boss of mine had the XR6 Turbo of the same model and the acceleration of that thing was of the 'smooth, quiet but causes breathing difficulties due to your rib cage being squashed into the seat' type.

edangus, Oct 20, 6:07am
Say $17K. don't mind spending less though.

monaro17, Oct 20, 6:21am
I have no personal or hard evidence but I do remember 'people' talking about those models with the 4.2 being very unreliable and problematic

martin11, Oct 21, 12:55am
You would have to make sure all the maitainance is up to date and when was the timing belt done ?

timmo1, Oct 21, 6:27am
You did write Nissan 350GT, but remember they switched to the 3.7 engine in 2007 for the 370GT. The V36 didn't seem that much smaller (to me) inside compared to the Fuga, obviously power and torque is down compared to the 4.5VK but its pulling a smaller body.

richardmayes, Jan 13, 8:25am
You could just about get a Merc CLS500 for that.