Service & WoF history, should I pass them on?

tibby1947, Aug 1, 1:32am
Hi - changing my car, trading-in dealer says he is putting it "into the trade" (not selling it on his forecourt).
I have a comprehensive history of wof and more important Dealer Servicing. Should I put this lot in the car when letting it go?
I am wary for the simple reason my name, address etc are all over these papers but a shame a new buyer would not see how much work and regular Main Dealership servicing I have had done. Thanks for any advice.

tony9, Aug 1, 2:40am
I cannot see any downside to passing the data on, it seems the right thing to do.

Your name and address is easily available to many.

franc123, Aug 1, 3:04am
I wouldn't bother ,the dealer clearly didn't care and buyers don't understand what's written on the invoices anyway and will probably be more interested in the stereo and aircon operation than the shiny new inner tie rod ends, trail arm bushes and alternator belt you had fitted that they won't have to pay for. Thirty years of used imports minus service histories has largely obliterated them from buyers attention, its really only buyers looking for late model NZ new under 100k that really look at them, sad but true.

tibby1947, Aug 1, 5:20am
Thank you both, differing answers but noted. My reason for p/x was to remove the hassle of dealing with tyre kickers or possible "comebacks" from TM buyers complaining about. ? Whilst awaiting advice I have cut out any mention of my name and address from invoices / wof reports so not too bothered now.

tamarillo, Aug 1, 5:26am
Include them please! These are so good to see when looking at second hand cars and become a part of the car. INCLUDE.

joanie04, Aug 1, 8:54am
One of my work mates traded her vehicle about a year ago (was a spur of the moment thing). She handed over all the service details etc. and the Dealer was very impressed. I have kept a copy of everything that I have done on my current vehicle and the mere male's but at their age they will more than likely by sold privately not used as a trade in.

trad, Aug 1, 9:21pm
Service information is important to me when buying a car.

westwyn, Aug 1, 9:48pm
Absolutely! I won't say "Most" but "Many" dealers would be VERY appreciative of that information- even if they are wholesaling out your trade-in top another dealer (which is common), that NEXT dealer will be able to pass it on to the new owner as a "peace of mind" that the car has been well looked after.

kazbanz, Aug 2, 1:02am
Tibby--what is the down side to passing that information on?
I can't think of a scenario where you would be disadvantaged
Ibncidently it is common to cut the dealer who did the servicing detail out when in Japan

elect70, Aug 2, 1:26am
If you were selling it onTM ( better idea ) or privately yes , but dealers dont care it will just go on a lot at price they decide upon . If new owner wants to ,they can find you for any info .

robotnik, Aug 2, 1:49am
Used Jap imports do sometimes include service histories. I've found owner's manuals with lots of dealer servicing stamps in a few of mine. Also there are service stickers on the door frames sometimes. All in Japanese of course, but not hard to translate really.

joanie04, Aug 2, 4:00am
I would have appreciated the service history of this current vehicle. No sticker anywhere showing when the oil and filter had been done last.

tibby1947, Aug 2, 5:54am
How's about some weirdo stalking a woman who lives alone? My name and address are not public information.
Anyhow I have cut out all name and address details so these papers will be included. My last service/ WoF only 2 weeks ago being $800.
I agree it will be very useful to new owner to see these invoices.

tgray, Nov 28, 10:23am
There you go.
You have answered your own question.