Question Phil Weston

ema1, Dec 10, 10:15pm
Hi Phil how's things, just a wee Q for you.
Mitsubishi V3000 1988-90 . what were these like as a car?
Did they have any vagaries engine or drive train wise?
Just your overall view I'm asking really, I didn't have a lot to do with them in the day.

m16d, Dec 10, 11:30pm
They were cop cars back then. would go faster than a PI Triumph.

ema1, Dec 10, 11:55pm
Yes they were and they like them too I understand.

bjmh, Dec 10, 11:59pm
they were hard on cv joints. a lot of H.P. steel tube runs from the water-pump thru the center of the engine. they rot out and leak,i still service a one owner . low km. but its suffering from the dreaded mitzi oil consumption problem. a great car in their day.

phillip.weston, Dec 11, 1:55am
I guess they are a 25-30 year old car now. Basically a Sigma/5th gen Galant - the suspension is basic so not much goes wrong other than ball joints/bushes or shocks due to age. The V6 engines are prone to oil consumption and smoking, especially at this age. If it's an auto I would make sure it shifts through all gears without shudder or flaring up, and that it engages overdrive fine.

ema1, Dec 11, 3:11am
Thanks for that Phil, thing is there might be a "freebe" heading my way?
It's in great nick "to look at" and kms aren't high either, around 180k ish?

biddy6, Dec 11, 7:05am
Hey ema1 would it be Peter J s car.

cagivachick1, Dec 11, 7:25am
had a ride in one years ago, not in the back though

franc123, Dec 11, 9:14am
Have to admit a liking for the old V3, especially a manual one. If I was going to own a Mitsi made in the last 30 years as a keeper I reckon that would be it, they are a Kiwi classic really. The Sigma body was its best and worst feature, light but not really big enough, it was a shame that engine and trans didn't get fitted to the car it should have, which was the first generation Magna that had the wider shell that eventually got sold here as a wagon alongside it. It would have taken more Ford/Holden sales on BOTH sides if the Tasman had that happened mereckons. I recall the local dealership doing head gaskets on them due to water leaking into the valley under warranty on the facelift model that had the Eterna nose on it, there was some sort of material fault with the gaskets, any crook ones would have been done by now you would think. Hope you get it!