Tony Quinn Has Bought Hampton Downs Track.

jubre, Jun 5, 1:32am
Tony Quinn owns the Cromwell Highlands Motorsport Park, which is worth a cool $31 million.
he has now bought Hampton Downs for $13.5 million.

he wants to buy a third one some where in the world.

Sure is money in that dam pet food.

jubre, Jun 5, 2:00am

hotrodtodd1, Jun 5, 3:19am
Wonder how the Taupo folk who turned him down earlier are feeling now, knowing that they have missed out on getting the Oz GT championship cars to their town?

Hes just cashed in his chips at VIP Petfoods for AUD$410m too so theres nothing much that wont be on his shopping list if he wants it.

jason_247, Jun 5, 3:52am
the taupo folk arent to fazed.

he offered 25% of the ratable value, half what the track owes in debt so if they accepted his offer they would have gone bankrupt.

his plans for HD are very different to taupo so hopefully he does well and finishes what others couldnt.

tamarillo, Jun 5, 4:06am
Haven't we had this thread? I say good on him for using his money on his passion and helping petrol heads in NZ.
Pity he can't buy into kohatu park proposal here in nelson.

jmma, Jun 5, 4:09am
No that one was " He is going to buy"
This one is "He has Bought" (o:

poppajn, Jun 5, 4:50am
Good luck, he has done nothing for Cromwell as a town

twink19, Jun 5, 4:54am
actually it was $15.5 mil, Manfield next

sr2, Jun 5, 5:44am
I can't help but ask the two obvious questions.

1: Why should he?
2: What have you "done for Cromwell as a town"?

sw20, Jun 5, 6:35am
Putting a multi million dollar race track in Central Otago ensures plenty of cash will flow in on racing weekends to the local shops and accommodation. Cash your province wouldn't have had if it wasn't there. You can only sell so many apricots.

ross1970, Jun 5, 6:39am
The guys a complete f'ing prick. I worked on the overpass bridge on the track at Highlands in Cromwell, strict speed limit on contractor vehicles etc on the track during construction, 5 people working on the track under the bridge, up ladders etc, Quinn comes flying around the track under the bridge in a Porsche cayenne loaded with mates doing at least 100 -120k. Wanker 100%

serf407, Jun 5, 8:50am
It is still relatively early days at Highlands. At least TQ will probably keep up the maintenance on his tracks rather than let things lapse like happened at other tracks around the world.

elect70, Jun 6, 1:03am
well the hospitality& retail industry in Cromwell would dissagree . the place was buzzing during highlands 101, & probably during the Race to the sky . Unlike street races it costs council nothing .

craigs_workshop, Jun 6, 5:41am
i hate comments like this

because you dont know how safe it looked from his perspective

it doesnt sound like he hit you or anybody else as you would have gladly told us he did

just because one person says something is dangerous doesnt make it so

ross1970, Jun 6, 6:29am
This has got to be the most moronic post I've ever read. Find a road that's closed due to road works, cones out, multiple workmen and work vehicles about, but there's still a single lane of space open to get work vehicles in and out. Now you go ripping thru there at over a hundy because it's looks ok from you're perspective. lol what a dick !

attitudedesignz, Jun 6, 6:39am
You're missing one vital point.

It was Tonys' road so he could do what ever he wanted on it, no one was forcing you to be there.

vivac, Jun 6, 8:55am
Im sure worksafe NZ would also have a point of view on this, might be a little different to yours though.

attitudedesignz, Jun 6, 9:04am
Yes but it's not "Worksafe NZ" on a motoring message board mouthing of tho' is it.

serf407, Jun 6, 10:57am

craigs_workshop, Jun 6, 11:10am
so it was super dangerous - & he was going a dangerous speed - but nothing happened ~

sounds like your the one with the problem

jubre, Jul 6, 7:13pm
Tony Quinn is a bit of a mouth and a show off, I must say.
Anyway this came on on his newsletter today.

http://www.highlands.co.nz/about-us/latest-updates/quinn-excited-by-hampton-downs-potential-to-complement-highlands/