Minor engine leak, would that cause a WOF fail?

maxi090605, Aug 25, 5:14am
My SUV has a leak for years now, not that alarming, since I seldom use it, and I didn't have to top it up since it gets that every 6 months on WOF check.

Now I'm changing WOF inspector, would the leaking cause it to fail inspection? My old inspector said it just needs a gasket replacement and nothing to worry about?

How much would changing of gasket cost?

cheers

wind.turbine, Aug 25, 5:16am
since its red it will cost you $879.50
if only you had bought a blue one, then it would have cost you $879.45

tony9, Aug 25, 5:21am
I have seen yellow ones done for as little as $878.13

tony9, Aug 25, 5:25am
A clue as to the vehicle would help a lot.

A Range Rover with a weeping head gasket due to a warped block could be thousands and write the car off.

An easily accessible joint on a common vehicle might be as low as $60 and much of that would be new coolant.

kazbanz, Aug 25, 5:31am
Maxi--It will fail if theres enough oil leaking. But frankly if it doesn't bother you then why not give it a wash underneath and send it for its WOF?

lusty9, Aug 25, 7:18am
why not just get it fixed and save the anxiety?.

maxi090605, Aug 25, 8:10am
It's a CRV.

Time constraint, can't have it fixed in a next month or so, but WOF is expiring end of this month. I guess I might have to take what the inspector will say and shelve $$$ to have it fixed after check up.

kazbanz, Aug 25, 8:22am
Must be my week for being mr invisible.
WASH the underside of the engine/gearbox with degreaser.-the $10 stuff from Super sheep will do the job. Then go for the WOF.
Youll make your mechanics job easier too because they will be able to see the leak path rather than just a generally oily mess.

aredwood, Aug 25, 8:49am
If the leak is from the power steering system then that is a WOF fail. Guessing it is the engine oil you have to keep topping up and not the power steering?

woody1946, Aug 25, 9:00am
If its leaking on the manifold or exhaust, thats a fail

mecanix, Aug 25, 9:06am
unless the rule has changed in the last 2 years for a private vehicle no its not.

for a passenger service vehicle yes it is.

mugenb20b, Aug 25, 5:50pm
That would depend on how bad the leak is.

maxi090605, Aug 27, 7:05am
Leaking not that bad but messes up the underside of the engine. I check oil level from time to time and looks to be fine, just a bit messy and looks like so much oil is leaking if not washed properly with a degreaser and water.

aktow, Aug 31, 4:25pm
yes , my merc failed a wof because of a small oil leak.

kazbanz, Aug 31, 8:27pm
Then wash the underside down with degreaser and send it for a WOF.

maxi090605, Aug 4, 6:33pm
yep, survived WOF, quoted $200 to fix it, just a gasket replacement. :)

but another problem detected,, some belts that make the car emit sound when initial ignition, not sure what you might call that belt, $240 for 3 belts. darn