Fix for Mazda airbag seats

bignackaz, Mar 27, 8:05am
Aargh. Bought new second hand seats for my 03 Atenza to replace shabby airbag versions, and the plug for the seatbelt/occupancy sender is completely different!
Is there an easy way to duck-shove the incompatibility, or a sparky who could do me a homey to get the new seats in there and the seatbelt/airbag light off?

kazbanz, Mar 27, 8:08am
the cars soposed to have airbag seats. no tradie is gonna wanna touch that one

a.woodrow, Mar 27, 8:29am
Nope, they are meant to have airbag seats and aren't to wof standard without them, I would say it's very unlikely you'll find any professional tradesman who will help you

brapbrap8, Mar 27, 8:52am
We had a similar discussion on here a wee while ago and came to the conclusion it is a very grey area as to whether seat mounted airbags can be deactivated.
They are not specifically covered under the frontal impact regs, but it is the sort of thing you would be silly to not have working if you had the choice!

Does it look like the same wiring other than the plug? Does it look like just a matter of swapping the plug off the old seats?

tamarillo, Mar 27, 6:56pm
Hold it. You don't say new seats have airbags or not. If they do, then surely the wires can be matched up as its just different plugs, so yes a Lece would surely do that.
If they don't have airbags above is right. Not allowed to bypass system and take airbags out.

vtecintegra, Apr 9, 6:59pm
According to LVVTA that only applies to front airbags, however good luck getting the rest of the system into a state someone will give a cert for it (as the seat mounted bags are designed to work in conjunction with the curtains you'd probably have to remove/disable them too)

Probably easier just to get the original seats re--covered.